Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Messages won't send texts to phones that aren't iPhones

I just got a new MacBookAir. My Messages won't send texts to phones that aren't iPhones. What do I need to change in my preferences to make this work?

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 2:19 PM

There are two very different types of messages as explained here.

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

As you’ve discovered, your Mac can send/receive iMessages to/from other Apple devices. But your Mac is not a cellular telephone. It cannot send or receive SMS messages.

If you happen to own an iPhone, you may hand off messages to the iPhone from your Mac to accomplish sending texts to non-iPhones. Without owning an iPhone, this is not possible.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2022 2:19 PM in response to zoopathy

There are two very different types of messages as explained here.

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

As you’ve discovered, your Mac can send/receive iMessages to/from other Apple devices. But your Mac is not a cellular telephone. It cannot send or receive SMS messages.

If you happen to own an iPhone, you may hand off messages to the iPhone from your Mac to accomplish sending texts to non-iPhones. Without owning an iPhone, this is not possible.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

My Messages won't send texts to phones that aren't iPhones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.