Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages on Mac

If I change my iMessages on my Mac to my email instead of my number will I still receive the texts I get and send to my phone or will it only be on my Mac?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 6:42 PM

That gets messy.

If your phone is registered with your AppleID then yes, messages you get on your phone will appear on your Mac.

If your phone is not registered with your AppleID, then you must register your phone number on your Mac for both to receive the same messages.

2 replies

Mar 28, 2022 6:48 PM in response to oliviaboggs

First please confirm you are using an iPhone since the macOS Messages app can only forward text messages to and from an iPhone. In other words if people are using your phone number to send you text messages, and you set up Text Message Forwarding, then changing "reachable at" to just an email address will have no effect.

Refer to Change Name, Phone, Email preferences for your Apple ID on Mac - Apple Support.

For a description of Text Message Forwarding, read Set up iPhone to get SMS messages on Mac - Apple Support.

iMessages on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.