Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini.. input not supported

Hi all,

I'll put my hands up and say right away this is my fault.

2014 Mac Mini working well with an Acer KG271 panel.

Then I altered the monitor settings via the Mac.

Now I have “Input not supported”. And a black screen.

The panel works as I can access the Mac log in screen.

I have tried reinstalling it’s original OS via the internet ( gets to 399 seconds remaining then error messages to try again ) and reinstalling the latest OS but after installing “input not supported”.

I can access Disk Utility but cannot erase the HD as operation failed “Couldn’t open disk “..

I have tried different HDMI cables.

The Mac works on my HD tv but I cannot see a way to force it to recognise the Acer panel that it worked well with before.

Help!

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 7:41 PM

Hoo Boy ! sounds to me like you have a whole mess o' problems....

you could try starting up in Safe mode....that does a few basic tests on startup and loads the OS with minimal extensions....

to access it on your 2014 Mac Mini, here's how to do that: (see link)

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

I'd hazard a guess that you've tried the usual things..... reset smc/pmu and zap pram 4 times on startup...... your Mac mini does support Internet Recovery, so maybe give that a try: Hold down Option and Apple+R on the keyboard on startup...make sure an Ethernet cable is plugged into your Mac mini and that you have working Internet service....you'll know it worked if you see a spinning globe and a progress bar on the screen.... here's how to do a reset smc/pmu and pram reset (zap pram) courtesy of Apple and rkaufmann87.... see link

SMC and PRAM Reset - Apple Community

It's weird that your Mac mini works with your HD tv, but not with the built in video...... about the only thing I can tell you before I go is that HDMI is not hot-swappable. If you want to make or change a connection, both things have to be off first....

anyways, good luck to you, gary straiton.... try that reset smc/pmu and zap pram first, if that doesn't do anything, then go for safe mode, and if that's iffy, then go for either Internet Recovery or plain Recovery (Apple+R) or hold down the Option key on startup to get to the startup manager, from there you should be able to access MacOS's built in Recovery partition, and from there....maybe get somewhere.....anyways, give it a shot and feel free to post back here......

john B

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2022 7:41 PM in response to gary straiton

Hoo Boy ! sounds to me like you have a whole mess o' problems....

you could try starting up in Safe mode....that does a few basic tests on startup and loads the OS with minimal extensions....

to access it on your 2014 Mac Mini, here's how to do that: (see link)

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

I'd hazard a guess that you've tried the usual things..... reset smc/pmu and zap pram 4 times on startup...... your Mac mini does support Internet Recovery, so maybe give that a try: Hold down Option and Apple+R on the keyboard on startup...make sure an Ethernet cable is plugged into your Mac mini and that you have working Internet service....you'll know it worked if you see a spinning globe and a progress bar on the screen.... here's how to do a reset smc/pmu and pram reset (zap pram) courtesy of Apple and rkaufmann87.... see link

SMC and PRAM Reset - Apple Community

It's weird that your Mac mini works with your HD tv, but not with the built in video...... about the only thing I can tell you before I go is that HDMI is not hot-swappable. If you want to make or change a connection, both things have to be off first....

anyways, good luck to you, gary straiton.... try that reset smc/pmu and zap pram first, if that doesn't do anything, then go for safe mode, and if that's iffy, then go for either Internet Recovery or plain Recovery (Apple+R) or hold down the Option key on startup to get to the startup manager, from there you should be able to access MacOS's built in Recovery partition, and from there....maybe get somewhere.....anyways, give it a shot and feel free to post back here......

john B

Mac Mini.. input not supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.