Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud with downward arrows

Hi,

I clicked the Desktop box on iCloud options and the folders and files seem to have uploaded.

On a different computer, which is signed into the same apple ID, I can see the desktop folders but they all have a downward arrow indicating that they are in the cloud but not available locally.

I double clicked the T2SS folder and now it is local (see screenshot).

Since I have unchecked the "optomize mac storage" box all these files should be available locally and I should not have to make a manual intervention to cause them to be downloaded.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest a remedy for the problem, or correct my understanding of how the system is supposed to work.

Thanks,

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 6:50 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 29, 2022 6:57 AM in response to oxcart

The User ( you ) are correct regarding and referring the above picture.

The File are stored on iCloud and the Cloud with Arrow indicates the files are available to download to Internal Drive.

Once they are downloaded to Internal Drive - any changes to the same file on the Internal Drive will automatically be uploaded to iCloud.

In so doing, any other device signed in to the same Apple ID will show the changes made.

Mar 29, 2022 8:12 AM in response to oxcart

The files need to available Locally ( Internal Drive ) for the occasion where Internet Connections are Not Available.

In so doing, changes made when Internet Connection is not available, the user can still work on the file(s).

Once Internet Connection is established the changes are uploaded and will sync.

Otherwise, if the files are not Local and No Internal Connect is available - the user will not be able to work on the files

Mar 29, 2022 9:41 AM in response to PRP_53

I am sorry if I'm being slow but I still don't understand.

Here's why: When I took the screenshot the computer was networked and the downward arrow indicates that the folders and files are not local. If they are not local they are not synced between the two computers. Why does the system not sync the latest version of the files between the two computers?

As things stand, I would have to anticipate the need for a local copy of the file and click its cloud icon to initiate its download before I disconnected from the network, for example on a flight. Is that the way it is supposed to work? Or is there something wrong with my setup? In a nutshell, the files are staying in the cloud even though the computer is networked.

iCloud with downward arrows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.