Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What external hard drive should I use to back up my iMac before I update to OS Monterey?

What external hard drive should I use to backup my iMac? I'm not tech savvy. all info will be helpful. Thanks

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 9:03 AM

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2022 9:03 AM in response to smileydog38

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Mar 30, 2022 9:37 AM in response to smileydog38

just about any manufacturer's drives will work. be they HDDs or SSDs. just make sure to NOT use any of the manufacturer's preloaded software that is used to make the drive "mac ready". when you use their software, you risk having that software not working with each macOS upgrade / update. instead you should use "Disk Utility" (found in applications > utilities) to erase the bare drive and reformat it as either APFS or macOS Extended (journaled).

What external hard drive should I use to back up my iMac before I update to OS Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.