Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone sync won't start

I have an iPhone 7 running iOS 15.3.1 and a late 2015 iMac running Monterey 12.2.1. I connect them via a USB cable. The phone appears in the iMac Finder window, and the data is updated in the General tab. When I select the "apply" or the "sync" button, the barbershop bar at the bottom starts with "Syncing (Step 1 of 5) - Waiting for sync to start". After a minute or so, a window pops up with "The iPhone could not be synced because the sync session failed to start."

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 9:00 PM

Connect iPhone to Mac

Use your USB lightening cable --> Resolve USB-related alerts in iTunes - Apple Support

If unable to connect --> If iTunes/Finder doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

For your Mac --> If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod ...

Use genuine cable --> Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories ...

See how to --> Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer ...

Here is the process to --> Backup on iTunes.

The steps given in this link will help you reset the passcode -> If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ...

If you are experiencing an issue not listed here, contact support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2022 9:12 PM in response to flashgordonp

Thanks, well researched. I am not having connection problems. As I stated in my post, the Finder window displays all of tabs for the iPhone, including the General tab., which displays the colored memory usage bar. Further, I am able to backup the iPhone to my Mac using the same lightning - USB cable. So not a connection issue. I think my problem is a bit more subtle.

iPhone sync won't start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.