Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro and time capsule

My time capsules oldest Backup is 3/3/2018, I have a mid 2012 MBPro 8gb ram 1tb storage hdd drive. 560 used 440 free. In 2018 i got a new SATA hard drive put in by apple genius bar everything is still running normal here. I bought a new 2021 MBPro M1 Max 32 gb ram 2 tb storage i get it 4/29/22. my 2012 has all my files doc and pictures from 2012 to the present. when i migrate from backup off my 5th generation time capsule i got in 2016, will 2021 have everything all the back to 2012. will it be identical to my 2012 MBPro except that the new one will have Monterey OS vs Catalina OS which is on my 2012?

thanks,

bikeman 5

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 8:27 AM

Thanks for the reply, i myself realize this it is very good feature. When my MacBook 2012 HDD died in 2017 i was in the Philippines for 3 weeks. I backed up right before i went to the Airport. HardDrive died 3 weeks into my trip. I went to the apple store and got an external drive for the remaining 3 weeks. When i got home i restored to the minute i left for the Airport. I only lost 3 weeks of info. Advised by apple to keep my old drive because technology is advancing, some day i may be able to retrieve my data for a small fee. In 2018 when i returned to have my laptop fixed there were companies with capabilities like the FBI that most likely could retrieve my data lost, it was $1000's with no guarantee. I choose to keep my HDD and hope for better technology and a price under $200. In my experience the company Apple recommended me to, charged $179 for this service with a full refund if no data was retrieved. i got refunded back. So i am patiently awaiting cheaper better technology. Im going to repost a more simplified question of what i am asking above, Its was late and i was up many hours trying to resolve my issue and probably was not specific enough. Again thanks for your reply as it may help other users with less apple experience.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the reply, i myself realize this it is very good feature. When my MacBook 2012 HDD died in 2017 i was in the Philippines for 3 weeks. I backed up right before i went to the Airport. HardDrive died 3 weeks into my trip. I went to the apple store and got an external drive for the remaining 3 weeks. When i got home i restored to the minute i left for the Airport. I only lost 3 weeks of info. Advised by apple to keep my old drive because technology is advancing, some day i may be able to retrieve my data for a small fee. In 2018 when i returned to have my laptop fixed there were companies with capabilities like the FBI that most likely could retrieve my data lost, it was $1000's with no guarantee. I choose to keep my HDD and hope for better technology and a price under $200. In my experience the company Apple recommended me to, charged $179 for this service with a full refund if no data was retrieved. i got refunded back. So i am patiently awaiting cheaper better technology. Im going to repost a more simplified question of what i am asking above, Its was late and i was up many hours trying to resolve my issue and probably was not specific enough. Again thanks for your reply as it may help other users with less apple experience.

Mar 31, 2022 6:04 AM in response to bikeman5

When you use Migration Assistant to move data from a Time Machine backup to a new Mac, you will choose which Time Machine backup date that you want to use to migrate the data.

For example, if you choose a recent backup date of your old Mac........March 25.......then your new Mac will look like your old Mac did on March 25. If you choose a recent backup date of......March 31.......then your new Mac will look like your old Mac did on March 31.

Most users choose the most recent backup date of their "old" Mac to use to migrate data to their "new" Mac, so the "new" Mac will be up to date with the "old" Mac.

Macbook pro and time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.