Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to change permissions of applications in Monterey

My Contacts application will not allow me to add contacts (subject of another thread). Under "get info" in Contacts, it lists under Name "system" (read & write), "wheel" (read only) and "everyone" (read only). I am unable to change the names or privileges for that application. When I try to make a change, I get "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission." I have gone through searches in Google on this subject and see a large number of solutions for older Mac OSs, but none for Monterey. I have completed a number of Disk Utility First Aid runs, and re-installed macOS Monterey in recovery mode. I have also gone under Users & Groups, advanced options to check what those are, but don't understand what those settings do plus the warning notice on changing anything, prevents me from trying anything. Under Advanced Options my Current User ID is 501, under other users my User ID is 505. If that means anything.

Any help on how to change the permissions to applications would be appreciated. (Monterey Ver 12.3)

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 6:02 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 31, 2022 9:23 AM in response to dialabrain

Also, I went into Users & Groups, my Admin name and then Advanced Options and have this listed,

Shouldn't the Login Shell have "/bin/zsh" listed? I am nervous about making changes since I am not a software person, but am wondering if the last time I updated my OS (last few OSs) that something did not change that was suppose to.

Mar 31, 2022 6:26 PM in response to PRP_53

I appreciate all the help on my issues of Permissions and adding people to my Contacts App. I, somehow, was able to do something that lets me add contacts to my Contacts app. Doing things in Safe mode and in Recovery mode did not do any good so did some resetting. First, I did a SMC and PRAM resets. When I booted again I had a notification for a macOS update, so I loaded Monterey 12.3.1. Then I followed some instructions from an online article about changing/resetting permissions in Catalina 10.15 and new OSs. I went into Recover mode, opened "Terminal" from the utilities menu and typed "repairHomePermissions," which gave me the Repair Home app, selected my User ID Admin account and clicked next, then exit. Then while in Recovery mode, I reinstalled macOS Monterey. After all that the iMac eventually came back up. I immediately went to my Contacts (and a few other programs) to check my permissions only to find that I still did not have the ability to change Permissions on anything. However, I found out that I was able to add contacts to my Contacts. That was the issue that started this whole thing. I had added a couple contacts on my iPad and later saw the same entrees had sync'd to my iMac Contacts list. That's when I added some more contacts in the iMac, so all is well now, except for the permissions issue. Which I will not mess with until I find a solution.

Thanks

I am unable to change permissions of applications in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.