Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Quicktime Plug-Ins

Hi,

I've been trying to edit videos in iMovie but have been having issues with the audio. Any time I try to play the clip in the editor it stalls and I have to force quit because iMovie stops responding. If I delete the audio from the clip it plays fine.

I've tried: 1) saving the library to a new place by holding down option at the open; 2) deleting all the iMovie settings by holding down command/option at the open; 3) I redownloaded iMovie; 4) I tried converting the videos into a different format by exporting them; 5) I updated all software and apps. Nothing has worked.

I believe it is a Quicktime issue. All of the Quicktime plugins seem to be missing. There's no folder under /Library/Quicktime or ~/Library/Quicktime and the folder ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins shows up but there's nothing in it.

I regularly delete files to maintain the memory storage on my iMac so it could be they got trashed in one of those deletions.

I'm wondering if there is a simple way to restore these plugins or if anyone has ideas if the iMovie issue could be something else.

Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 9:17 AM

I think it is more likely a codec issue rather than a QuickTime plug-in issue.

Before importing the clip into iMovie try converting it to Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Convert it even it is already in that codec. Then see if it plays audio in iMovie.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

Another thing that you can try is to delete/reset preferences. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Now see if the audio will play in your projects. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2022 9:17 AM in response to hreifeiss

I think it is more likely a codec issue rather than a QuickTime plug-in issue.

Before importing the clip into iMovie try converting it to Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Convert it even it is already in that codec. Then see if it plays audio in iMovie.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

Another thing that you can try is to delete/reset preferences. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Now see if the audio will play in your projects. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Missing Quicktime Plug-Ins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.