You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.2.1 missing plus (+) and minus (-) buttons on security and privacy

I know others are having this issue, but I've yet to be able to find any solution. Maybe someone else has? I'm trying to give access to chrome to use my camera and microphone, but there seems to be no way to add the app into the list since the + & - buttons have seemingly vanished.

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 9:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 1:52 PM

The suggestion my appear unrelated but running Monterey 12.2.1 may or may not be related.

The current version of Monterey as of March 31, 2022 if version 12.3.1 and brings a hots of bug and security updates since the version this computer is runing now.

Perform A Time Machine Backup  before updating

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 1, 2022 1:45 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I do get this pop up (see image below), then I go to the little icon on the upper right that leads me to the system preferences, and if I navigate to the camera and microphone settings (as you'll see in the image above in the original post), not only is there no option (or check box) to allow Google Chrome access to my webcam or microphone in the available apps, but there is no way to add an additional app (Google Chrome in this instance).

FWIW, I've also double- and now triple-checked in Chrome's preferences, and Chrome has allowed access to the camera (hence why I get that pop up in the image below). So Chrome is ok with using my camera, as long as the OS allows it, but that's absolutely my hang up.

Apr 1, 2022 2:20 PM in response to Brianmaneely

Double check the setting for microphone. One possible explanation is that you have disallowed microphone access for Chrome. If that is true, then Chrome might not even bother asking for the Camera.

People can usually see right away if their camera isn't working. But they will go on for hours never realizing that no one can hear them.

If Chrome is not listed in either Camera or Microphone, and Chrome doesn't seem to be able to even trigger the normal flow any more, you may need to reset the TCC system. It's not hard, but it does require use of the Terminal.

Monterey 12.2.1 missing plus (+) and minus (-) buttons on security and privacy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.