Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I unable to access my ViaSat modem with Safari using its IP address?

I am connected to a ViaSat modem via ethernet cable. The instructions for changing the WiFi address on a ViaSat modem say: Type 192.168.100.1 into your browser address bar and press Enter" which produces the initial page with all sorts of data and links to WiFi Settings and Router Settings. Those links do not work for me. Safari throws the error:

This prevents me from changing the WiFi password and improving the security settings of the router which has become imperative to me after seeing evidence that others are tapping into this data capped network.

I vaguely recall a Unix setting for local IP addresses that are to be "trusted" but can't remember if macOS supports that or whether or how to invoke it if it is supported.

What should I be trying first in overcoming this obstacle?

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 9:42 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 2, 2022 11:56 AM in response to Frank Lowney1

Hi Frank Lowney1, We appreciate you reaching out to us. We understand that you are in the process of using Safari to manage the ViaSat modem.

We’d like to gather additional details that may help us be in a better position to assist you. Does your modem have router functionality?

Does it help if you use 192.168.1.1 instead?

In the meantime, we recommend that you check if the issue persists when signed in on a different user account. 

The article below can help if you do not have any other user account to test with.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you are experiencing the issue when signed in on a different user account, we recommend that you check if the issue persists while on safe mode. 

Below is an article to help guide you through the process.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Take care!

Apr 2, 2022 3:43 PM in response to kamote0628

Q: Does your modem have router functionality?

A: Yes it does. Typing http://192.168.100.1 into Safari yields the following page. There is NO username/password challenge.

So, yes, it does have router functionality.

Q: Does it help if you use 192.168.1.1 instead?

A: No it does not. That address yields:

Suggestion: In the meantime, we recommend that you check if the issue persists when signed in on a different user account. 

Response: I don't understand how this could help. The Viasat device has no idea as to who I am other than the fact that I am connected directly via ethernet. The suggestion to use Safe Mode is equally puzzling to me. I have tried multiple devices (iMac, iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro) all with the same result. I have also tried multiple web browsers (Safari, Firefox, Chrome) all with the same result. Finally, I have chatted at length with Viasat technical support and they are unable to offer any reasonable explanation as to why I cannot access their Gateway Modem to change the password and security settings. As you can see from the screenshot above, these functions are linked to but Safari et. al. are unable to access them.

This "feels" like a macOS security barrier intervening into an otherwise straightforward transaction via local IP address.

Apr 3, 2022 7:42 AM in response to Neil22R

I was able to access the Viasat Gateway device and change the password using Safari under iOS which significantly lessens the urgency of this issue for me. Why macOS doesn't work is still an interesting question for me so I may pursue that at a later time.

Disappointingly, this access allowed me to learn that my WiFi network which is set to WPA cannot be configured to use WPA2/WPA3 Personal (AES) security type as Apple recommends but that is an issue I will have to take up with Viasat.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Why am I unable to access my ViaSat modem with Safari using its IP address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.