Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad not responding well to touch, sometimes won’t swipe up to close apps, or sideways when scrolling.

The screen on my iPad won’t respond to my touch completely. I cannot swipe up to close apps and sometimes it won’t register my touch when clicking ‘buttons’ on the screen. My Smart Keyboard also periodically won’t work (this is my 2nd one) and I get a message that says that my accessory is not connected. The failing touchscreen is really my biggest concern! I have an iPad Pro that is 4 years old.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 10:28 AM

This is NOT something you are going to want to read, but these are the facts/issues, as I know them, for the past 3-1/2 years.

The intermittent, unresponsive touchscreen issues with higher priced, larger screen iPad Pro and iPad Air models are a well known and well documented, here, in the iPad support communities.

This affects a still small, but continually growing minority of random 2017 through present iPad Pro and iPad Air models and its user base.

Now, after 3 years of this nonsense, there is still no confirmed cause and fix/solution from Apple.

NONE!

Getting one of these defective units is very random and is ONLY one of a small handful of issues going on with higher priced, larger screen iPad models that has prevented me from purchasing a new iPad Pro or new iPad Air for the past 2-3 years.

Apple and Apple support have no real fixes or solutions to this issue.

If you have a screen protector on this iPad Pro, remove it as the screen protector makes the touch screen and Pencil experiences worse.

Also, try removing your iPad's case ( it maybe too tight a fit ) and try using your iPad without it to see if this helps, or not, with your iPad touchscreen issue/s

There is absolutely no solution/s to these later iPad Pro/iPad Air touch screen issues.

Apple support can only offer superficial, “band-aid” bandage-like advice/fixes/solutions.

You can contact Apple support, but your iPad Pro/later iPad Air model maybe too old for Apple to offer any type of free or in-warranty iPad replacement and Apple will ONLY offer “band-aid“-like advice/fixes/solutions to this issue.

Apple support is pretty much clueless to this issue and Apple, itself, has never, publicly, acknowledged this issue or issued any type of device recalls.

This is something you probably didn't want to learn, but doesn't change any of the currently known facts.

So Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2022 10:28 AM in response to Msmagooo

This is NOT something you are going to want to read, but these are the facts/issues, as I know them, for the past 3-1/2 years.

The intermittent, unresponsive touchscreen issues with higher priced, larger screen iPad Pro and iPad Air models are a well known and well documented, here, in the iPad support communities.

This affects a still small, but continually growing minority of random 2017 through present iPad Pro and iPad Air models and its user base.

Now, after 3 years of this nonsense, there is still no confirmed cause and fix/solution from Apple.

NONE!

Getting one of these defective units is very random and is ONLY one of a small handful of issues going on with higher priced, larger screen iPad models that has prevented me from purchasing a new iPad Pro or new iPad Air for the past 2-3 years.

Apple and Apple support have no real fixes or solutions to this issue.

If you have a screen protector on this iPad Pro, remove it as the screen protector makes the touch screen and Pencil experiences worse.

Also, try removing your iPad's case ( it maybe too tight a fit ) and try using your iPad without it to see if this helps, or not, with your iPad touchscreen issue/s

There is absolutely no solution/s to these later iPad Pro/iPad Air touch screen issues.

Apple support can only offer superficial, “band-aid” bandage-like advice/fixes/solutions.

You can contact Apple support, but your iPad Pro/later iPad Air model maybe too old for Apple to offer any type of free or in-warranty iPad replacement and Apple will ONLY offer “band-aid“-like advice/fixes/solutions to this issue.

Apple support is pretty much clueless to this issue and Apple, itself, has never, publicly, acknowledged this issue or issued any type of device recalls.

This is something you probably didn't want to learn, but doesn't change any of the currently known facts.

So Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Apr 2, 2022 7:22 AM in response to Msmagooo

If you're sure that nothing (cover or screen protector) interferes with your touch screen, try a "forced" restart of your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top (power) button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top (power) button. Only when the Apple logo appears (it might take 15-30 seconds), release that button (ignore all other screens that might appear).

If the issue still persists, contact Apple Support directly using this link:--> Get Support or, even better, make an appointment (*) and have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> Apple – Location Selector. After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

(*) You can do it:

Apr 2, 2022 10:33 AM in response to MichelPM

Thank you. You’re right, I didn’t want to hear this 😆My 10yr old mini has no issues other than it’s old and slow, so this is disappointing. I was just about to buy another iPadPro, but this makes me think twice on it if I’m going to have the same issue. I do not have a screen protector and my keyboard/cover is the magnetic smartfolio.

Apr 2, 2022 10:45 AM in response to Msmagooo

Like I stated, this is an isolated issue and does NOT occur with every large screen iPad manufactured.

This ONLY happens to a small percentage of large screen iPads ( like maybe 5-10% ) of those manufactured.

You just need to understand and be aware that there is a 5-10% risk of getting one of these problem touchscreen iPads and there is no way of knowing you received one of these until maybe anywhere from 6 months to 2-3 years into another new iPad.

Sometimes, software upgrades/updates will trigger this intermittent/unresponsive touch screen issue, but again, not always.

iPad not responding well to touch, sometimes won’t swipe up to close apps, or sideways when scrolling.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.