Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac os system

i am trying to reload a new version of the O/S system onto my IMAC 27" 2011, i got to the screen where it wanted my Apple ID and password, (it wouldn't recognize them?) i re booted the pc and now all it can see is a spinning world and my internet connection, this goes on for a while then stops with warning logo and apple.com/support -2002u, and advise would be appreciated

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 7:30 AM

Get and use a USB keyboard and mouse. (most any will work)

Connect the iMac to your Router using an Ethernet cable.

Then use Internet Recovery to re-install the macOS.

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 3, 2022 9:30 AM in response to Mick2122

Unfortunately a 2011 iMac is too old to support Internet Recovery. If your iMac has a Recovery Partition on the internal HD please restart by holding down Command + R on until the computer restart in the Recovery Partition and the install Mac OS.

If you do not have a Recovery Partition (maybe a new HD or SSD or a failed HD or SSD) then the thing to do is:

First determine if the internal drive has failed, if it has you will need to replace it. Then you can create a bootable install media and install Mac OS on the drive. Please follow the steps in Create a bootable installer for macOS and install Mac OS from the media you just created. You should create a High Sierra, that is the last version of Mac OS that will run on a 2011.

If for some reason you cannot create a bootable installer your last option is to buy a Snow Leopard DVD (the white one) from Bay or possibly Amazon. These are getting tough to find though as your computer is VERY VERY old now. If you exercise that option ensure the DVD is an original one and NOT a copy, there are a lot of counterfeits out there so ask the sell and if they do not guarantee it's an original pass on the purchase.

One other thing you can do is to take th computer to your local INDEPENDENT Apple Authorized Service Provider and see if they will work on it. It is too old for an Apple Store to do any work but an independent Apple Authorized Service Provider may.

Good luck!

imac os system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.