Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I upgrade an old iMac mid 2010?

I have an older iMac mid 2010. I can't update to High Sierra (the latest OS that is supported on that model) because I can't sign in to my Apple ID, and I can't sign in to my Apple ID because my iMac is too out of date.

I know I have the correct password because it works on every other device.

Every time I put in my correct password, it tells me it's incorrect.

If I try and make a new Apple ID on my old computer, it tells me there's a server error.

I've done all of this in SafeMode.

I've restarted my computer countless times.

What do I do?

iMac 27″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 1:21 PM

If you have a usb flash drive with at least 14 gb of total capacity you can try to make a bootable high sierra flash drive.

NOTE : EVERYTHING ON THAT DRIVE WILL BE WIPED CLEAN.

Instructions on how to do this: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Please let me know if you have any other questions and if this successfully solved your issue

Good luck, Sincerely Apple Community support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2023 1:21 PM in response to IWantHighSierra

If you have a usb flash drive with at least 14 gb of total capacity you can try to make a bootable high sierra flash drive.

NOTE : EVERYTHING ON THAT DRIVE WILL BE WIPED CLEAN.

Instructions on how to do this: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Please let me know if you have any other questions and if this successfully solved your issue

Good luck, Sincerely Apple Community support

Nov 2, 2023 2:26 PM in response to IWantHighSierra

You need to install El Capitan as an interim step prior to upgrading that Mac to High Sierra. Refer to How to download and install macOS - Apple Support, and scroll down to El Capitan 10.11.

After it installs, return to that same Apple Support document and install High Sierra.

Back up your Mac as a matter of course. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support.

How do I upgrade an old iMac mid 2010?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.