Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling Mac OS X on old laptop

In the process of trying to erase my old MacBook to give to a friend, I think I erased too much. When I restart the computer it shows a flashing folder with a question mark in it. I’ve tried reinstalling Mac OS X but every time I enter my Apple ID/password, it says it’s not valid. I’m 100% certain that the password/Apple ID is correct and even changed it to cover all the bases and it’s still saying that. It’s sending me a confirmation about my attempts to my cell phone and I’m approving each. My phone gives me a code to enter on the old laptop but it’s not asking for a code, just saying the login id/password isn’t correct.

what am I missing? Just trying to fix erasing more than I should have 🤦‍♀️

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 7:32 PM

What is the exact model of the Mac? You can get the exact model by entering the system serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If you have a late-2009 or newer Intel Mac which had macOS 10.12.6+ installed at some point in the past, then you should be able to boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R. Using this method to access Internet Recovery Mode should not require any AppleID.

If Internet Recovery Mode isn't working and this is a 2010 or earlier Mac, then you boot using an OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD or the original 10.6 Restoration DVD (which one depends on the exact model of the Mac).

FYI, here is what you should do to prepare a Mac for sale:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

When you erased the drive, you should have quit Disk Utility instead of rebooting, then selected the "Reinstall macOS" option which would have prevented all these problems.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 7:32 PM in response to Kernville

What is the exact model of the Mac? You can get the exact model by entering the system serial number here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If you have a late-2009 or newer Intel Mac which had macOS 10.12.6+ installed at some point in the past, then you should be able to boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R. Using this method to access Internet Recovery Mode should not require any AppleID.

If Internet Recovery Mode isn't working and this is a 2010 or earlier Mac, then you boot using an OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD or the original 10.6 Restoration DVD (which one depends on the exact model of the Mac).

FYI, here is what you should do to prepare a Mac for sale:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

When you erased the drive, you should have quit Disk Utility instead of rebooting, then selected the "Reinstall macOS" option which would have prevented all these problems.

Reinstalling Mac OS X on old laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.