Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still having a hard time understanding Icloud - why am I out of disk space with 1T available in the cloud?

I have read numerous posts. I have everything selected as optimized when it comes to storage space on my macbook pro. I have 2 TB (1TB available) for Icloud. I have an IMac with 2 TB as well. However my Macbook pro is 500GB. I tried to save a file on my mac to the icloud drive (or currently my desktop). The macbook says I do not have enough space and I need to delete files or optimize storage. However, I have over a TB available on icloud drive. This makes no sense. I could delete a large file from icloud and this would allow me to save the file to my computer (on Icloud). However, why would I want to delete a file from Icloud when I am paying for 2TB of storage. Is there a way to remove Icloud sync from my computer, yet, access it to upload files online?

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 4:16 PM

You're likely out of space on the Mac. Remember, everything in iCloud is synced across all devices. You can elect to optimize photo storage and to optimize files, which should help to manage space.

you can also turn off iCloud on any device. It will no longer sync but you can go to iCloud.com to upload/download files.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2022 4:16 PM in response to mikesellsmd

You're likely out of space on the Mac. Remember, everything in iCloud is synced across all devices. You can elect to optimize photo storage and to optimize files, which should help to manage space.

you can also turn off iCloud on any device. It will no longer sync but you can go to iCloud.com to upload/download files.

Still having a hard time understanding Icloud - why am I out of disk space with 1T available in the cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.