Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to consolidate two user accounts into one

I have an older 27" iMac (late 2013) with two user accounts. Each one has overlapping but different files and slightly different applications. I want to buy a new iMac, but I want the files and data to be combined on ONE account. How do I do that? I have experimented a little bit with SHARED files. I don't know how to handle the different iPhoto libraries though.

Also, when I upgraded to OS X Catalina, the user account I use the most is messed up - the System Preferences do not work. I get a crash popup. On the other user account that I have been emptying out except for the photos, the System Preferences work fine.

I want to get the files set up the correct way on my old machine so that I can use Time Machine or Migration Assistant to get the new computer set up properly.

I have a 3 TB hard drive (I had to replace the hard drive on this machine, so it has a small start up drive and a 3 TB internal storage drive) with 1.41 TB remaining. I back up automatically to a 4 TB external hard drive for my Time Machine.

Can someone give me a numbered list of steps to take?

Also, is one of the two accounts more of a master account?

I see that when I am in the account I use the most, it's not letting me change some of the permissions (probably because System Preferences is broken on this account. ) System says READ AND WRITE, admin says read only and everyone says read only - I unlocked it and entered my password but it still says I don't have permission... Currently the storage drive is clicked ON as a SHARED FOLDER.

I guess I could wait until I purchase the new computer and then use Apple Care to walk me through it, but I would rather do the prep work first.

P. S. I was hoping that Apple would announce a new, thin, updated 27" iMac (or make it possible to use our old iMacs as second screens.)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 4:35 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Unfortunately, you cannot combine user accounts. What I would do is use a new, large external storage device and manually move all your data onto this one drive, then manually move it to the new user account on your new Mac. I'd also avoid restoring with Time Machine as you mentioned one user account has some issues.

Here's a great external disk: LaCie Mobile Drive 4TB External Hard Drive USB-C - Apple. You'd also need this cable.

And here's a few recourses on external disks and moving files:

Jack

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2022 4:35 PM in response to lhille

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Unfortunately, you cannot combine user accounts. What I would do is use a new, large external storage device and manually move all your data onto this one drive, then manually move it to the new user account on your new Mac. I'd also avoid restoring with Time Machine as you mentioned one user account has some issues.

Here's a great external disk: LaCie Mobile Drive 4TB External Hard Drive USB-C - Apple. You'd also need this cable.

And here's a few recourses on external disks and moving files:

Jack

Apr 4, 2022 4:04 PM in response to Jack-19

Thanks - I don't have USB-C on my old computer. The new one probably won't have old USB. Apple kept changing the Thunderbolt cables / Firewire, so after a while I avoided those drives in favor of something more universal (USB 3.0) even if it's slower. I bought a LaCie USB-C drive for my son's laptop. My Time Machine is on a Seagate 4 TB powered hard drive which has 1.34 TB available.

I don't plan on backing up the applications except for some third party music arranging software. I will start fresh with new versions of the Apple apps, new MS Office, new printer drivers, etc.

So basically:

1) drag and drop the files and folders from each user account onto a new external hard drive

2) On new computer create a whole new User Account.

3) Drag the files back.

This sounds entirely do-able!

Next question will be what to do with the several Photo/iPhoto libraries (that also can't be combined)... but if they are all at least on ONE USER ACCOUNT, it will be a little bit easier to manage. It has been easier to just buy larger hard drives than to untangle the mess.

ALSO... I also have a Windows Surface Pro which is my work computer. I am retiring from teaching, so I need to pull everything off of it and then put on the Mac.

Is there anything tricky about formatting a portable hard drive so that it can be read by both Mac and PC?

This computer is a lot smaller, maybe 500-600 GB of data. I also have to back up everything from my work cloud accounts (Microsoft One Drive, Google Drive). I might not use much of it, but I want to keep it.

How to consolidate two user accounts into one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.