Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verify Credit Card when watching AppleTV in a browser.

My iPhone/Apple Payment Method is PayPal, which I used to subscribe to AppleTV, and which I usually watch on a PS4. Today for the first time I tried watching in a browser, but after logging in, when clicking on any title, I get a popup saying "Verify Credit Card - You will not be charged. A credit card is required to ensure that the account holder has authorized viewing on the web."

But I'm not using a CC for Apple payments. So I contacted support, and was told that providing a CC is required to prove that I'm 18, old enough to enter into a contract. Makes no sense to me. I'm already entered into a contract with AppleTV, and by logging into my account, I verified that I'm the account holder. No other content provider I'm using is doing this:

Netflix: I'm paying with PayPal, and I can watch on the PS4, on my PC, on my iPhone, iPad, all just by logging into my account. I may have to respond to a 2FA, but am not required to provide a CC, and why would they? I already paid for the service.

Same with Amazon Prime (watching movies), Tubi, and Pandora, HBO Max... They support full round-tripping, i.e. I start a show on one device, and resume on another.

Only Apple requires me to provide a CC to "verify that I have approved viewing on the web"? Approving web viewing is not even an option I can set in the account. I can specify parental controls, but not whether watching on the web is allowed. Bottomline, the whole thing makes no sense to me. Sorry if I'm missing something here...

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 1:23 PM

I know, this is utter nonsense from Apple, I just arrived at my holiday destination and wanted to finish watching a show on my laptop and got this popup. I use Paypal as payment method for all my streaming services so it's literally impossible to solve. I simply decided to unsubscribe from Apple TV+ until they fix their mess.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2022 1:23 PM in response to DivByZer0

I know, this is utter nonsense from Apple, I just arrived at my holiday destination and wanted to finish watching a show on my laptop and got this popup. I use Paypal as payment method for all my streaming services so it's literally impossible to solve. I simply decided to unsubscribe from Apple TV+ until they fix their mess.

Verify Credit Card when watching AppleTV in a browser.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.