Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High power consumption of MBP and Studio Display when sleeping

Hello,

my MBP 2021 connected to the new Studio Diplay (via thunderbolt) draws typically 15W when sleeping (this may take a while, it starts with lower consumption of 3-5W). The left fan of the display is running then, too.

When I disconnect the display from the Mac they consume only less than 0.5W each.

The OS are up to (Monterey 12.3.1 & IOS 15.4)

Any thoughts on that?

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 12:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 9:50 AM

So, contacted Support (first time using iMessage which is cool)

Couple of things we tried:

• When in 'safe mode' (start the MacBook holding down the power button and selecting 'safe mode') the issue does not seem to happen, after going to sleep the display powers down and I cannot hear the fans at all.
  • When not in 'safe mode' we tried disabling Ask Siri (not just 'Hey Siri' but the entire thing) this seems to stop the fans, but they then come on maybe 2-3mins after the sleep, then go off again shortly after.

They are going to pass my case up to a Senior Engineer to collect some more data from me.

Interestingly, I've ran this command in Terminal, found on another thread there:

pmset -g log | grep -i "wake from"

and I can see lots and lots of messages like the below, literally throughout the day/night when the Mac is supposed to be asleep...

DarkWake from Deep Idle [CDNP] : due to SMC.OutboxNotEmpty smc.70070000 wifibt wlan DataFrame ARPT/ Using AC (Charge:100%) 45 secs

My gut is telling me the Mac isn't fully going to sleep, or it's not going into a deep enough sleep for the power saving to kick in... this looks to be caused by network activity on mine.

I do remember an issue earlier in the year that was related to a similar thing but that was supposedly resolved in macOS 12.2 - maybe the bug(s) have come back.

Be interesting to see if you or anyone else notices those errors in Terminal or not, I'll post when I next speak to support.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2022 9:50 AM in response to palmino

So, contacted Support (first time using iMessage which is cool)

Couple of things we tried:

• When in 'safe mode' (start the MacBook holding down the power button and selecting 'safe mode') the issue does not seem to happen, after going to sleep the display powers down and I cannot hear the fans at all.
  • When not in 'safe mode' we tried disabling Ask Siri (not just 'Hey Siri' but the entire thing) this seems to stop the fans, but they then come on maybe 2-3mins after the sleep, then go off again shortly after.

They are going to pass my case up to a Senior Engineer to collect some more data from me.

Interestingly, I've ran this command in Terminal, found on another thread there:

pmset -g log | grep -i "wake from"

and I can see lots and lots of messages like the below, literally throughout the day/night when the Mac is supposed to be asleep...

DarkWake from Deep Idle [CDNP] : due to SMC.OutboxNotEmpty smc.70070000 wifibt wlan DataFrame ARPT/ Using AC (Charge:100%) 45 secs

My gut is telling me the Mac isn't fully going to sleep, or it's not going into a deep enough sleep for the power saving to kick in... this looks to be caused by network activity on mine.

I do remember an issue earlier in the year that was related to a similar thing but that was supposedly resolved in macOS 12.2 - maybe the bug(s) have come back.

Be interesting to see if you or anyone else notices those errors in Terminal or not, I'll post when I next speak to support.

Apr 14, 2022 4:54 AM in response to Daniel Balshaw

I think, the fans only should be running when the MacBook Pro needs lots of power wenn charging. All external power adapters are fine with passive cooling (up to 120W). The Studio Display alone consumes only 30W.

Yes, I raised a ticked, they didn't know if it's an expected behaviour. The case is ongoing.

When I connect a fully charged iPad Pro in sleeping mode to the display, it too consumes about 15 W of power.

This is clearly a violation of the environmental report. It states it should consume 0.36W (plus 0.3W for the MBP) when at sleep.

Other people experience the same: https://www.reddit.com › commentsStudio Display problem (fans always on with Macbook pro ) : r/apple - Reddit

Apr 15, 2022 10:20 AM in response to Daniel Balshaw

Thank you so much, that‘s so interesting!

Strangely enough the MBP at sleep does consume less than 2W when connected to an external power adapter (and if I remember correctly, also much less power when connected to one of the USB-C ports and not the thunderbolt port of the studio display). So until now I thought the studio display is the culprit, not the MBP. As I said before also the iPad Pro consumes triggers this is due to display to consume 15-20 W when connected to the Thunderbolt port. I also noticed that sometimes it takes up to an hour until it reaches the maximum power consumption.

Apr 15, 2022 10:24 AM in response to palmino

It is weird, I wonder if you disable Siri on the iPad it still does it?

I've noticed as well, with Siri disabled the display does definitely shut off - it just come back on and goes off (weirdly for 45seconds at a time...)

It does seem as well, that with Siri disabled the monitor takes about 2 seconds to come on when I press the keyboard... when Siri is enabled, it is instant - as if the display is 'on' still.

Apr 18, 2022 8:49 AM in response to Daniel Balshaw

A slight update, based on some testing:

This thread on MacRumors https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mba-constantly-waking-up-from-sleep.2271425/page-2 explains that the MacBook Air could be waking up because of 'TCPkeepalive'

I've disabled this, which does bring some feature reduction (like FindMyMac)

Run command in terminal: sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0

This seems to have stopped my Mac waking and connecting to the network constantly.

I still feel this is a bug with either the Studio Display or macOS.. as there should be no need for the fans to be on to power a Mac in sleep mode...

Apr 18, 2022 10:03 AM in response to Daniel Balshaw

No, they didn't, I  tested this a few weeks ago with the Apple support who asked me to try this. I ran a few more tests with my iPad Pro 2020: Regardless if the iPad is on or in sleep mode, it draws 26 to 31 W when connected to the studio display. When I shut it down completely it still draws (or better the display) 7W. When I turn off Siri the only difference is, it consumes a little less when in sleep mode: 15 to 24 W. Only when completely shut down the fans turn off, otherwise both of them always run!

My MacBook Pro connected to the display draws 47-55 W, when turned on, without Siri. I first thought it would take less energy with Siri turned off, but it only took longer (about an hour) before the power consumption reached again  15-22 W. 

To me it's 100% this studio display is play who is the culprit and consumes the power, because when I connect my MacBook Pro to the power adapter (96W) that came with it, it draws only 2.3 W in sleep mode!!

High power consumption of MBP and Studio Display when sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.