Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Song purchased as both single and part of album doesn't show in album

Hi, thanks anyone who can help.

I bought a song as a single, and then when the album came out bought the album. Now, when the album plays, the song that is the single is not listed in it, and doesn't play. It's in my library as a single, but should be there twice.

iTunes Music Store shows the album as purchased, and the song as purchased but not playable. Screenshots attached. The screenshots show downloading because I was trying to re-download at the time (to see if it would fix, it did not).

Needless to say this is a terrible experience because it's 100% Apple, everything purchased from Apple and on a Mac, and no way to trouble shoot or re-download or anything other than complain on this forum.

Thanks a bunch for any help.

My library:

Apple iTunes store:

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 3:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 10:56 PM

Hi, thanks for your help! I'd read all of those before posting, and tried several odd trouble shooting steps. Unfortunately, none of them really describe the situation (purchased album not showing all songs).

However, I've managed to resolve the problem. Again to diagnose, the issue stems from:

1. Purchasing a single (song released as only 1 song album)
  2. Then purchasing a full album that contains the song.

Result:

The single (already in library) does not show in the album that contains it.

iTunes Music Store shows the album as purchased, and unable to download.

Music app shows only 1 version (single) of the song.

Playing the album from start to finish will not play the single song (even though it is included in the album).

Clicking "show Complete Album" at the bottom of the album view in Music shows the whole album as purchased.

This is the error. The whole album has not been purchased. The solution is to go to the album again, separately from the "complete this album" view, and purchase the single song. For some reason despite buying the single and the album both as full album purchases, "Complete My Album" does not work, instead purchasing the other songs.

Again, this is due to the way Apple sells songs individually, and I only discovered it by digging into the billing, which shows "10 songs" purchased on that date, and not "the album". This means iTMS intentionally didn't sell me the same song twice, despite it being included. Weird behavior, and buggy, as I own the same song on many albums (multiple versions, lives, greatest hits, etc) and so skipping songs I already own when purchasing albums is very, very much not the expected behavior.

Anyone who can help provide feedback to Apple please do. I provide feedback on Music and iTunes Music Store frequently, with no effect.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2022 10:56 PM in response to 1ssmith

Hi, thanks for your help! I'd read all of those before posting, and tried several odd trouble shooting steps. Unfortunately, none of them really describe the situation (purchased album not showing all songs).

However, I've managed to resolve the problem. Again to diagnose, the issue stems from:

1. Purchasing a single (song released as only 1 song album)
  2. Then purchasing a full album that contains the song.

Result:

The single (already in library) does not show in the album that contains it.

iTunes Music Store shows the album as purchased, and unable to download.

Music app shows only 1 version (single) of the song.

Playing the album from start to finish will not play the single song (even though it is included in the album).

Clicking "show Complete Album" at the bottom of the album view in Music shows the whole album as purchased.

This is the error. The whole album has not been purchased. The solution is to go to the album again, separately from the "complete this album" view, and purchase the single song. For some reason despite buying the single and the album both as full album purchases, "Complete My Album" does not work, instead purchasing the other songs.

Again, this is due to the way Apple sells songs individually, and I only discovered it by digging into the billing, which shows "10 songs" purchased on that date, and not "the album". This means iTMS intentionally didn't sell me the same song twice, despite it being included. Weird behavior, and buggy, as I own the same song on many albums (multiple versions, lives, greatest hits, etc) and so skipping songs I already own when purchasing albums is very, very much not the expected behavior.

Anyone who can help provide feedback to Apple please do. I provide feedback on Music and iTunes Music Store frequently, with no effect.

Apr 4, 2022 8:13 AM in response to Will Turner1

Hello Will,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities. If you’re experiencing issues with a purchased album from iTunes, these steps can help:

1.) Turn on your Mac or PC and connect it to the Internet.
2.) Open the Music app or iTunes for Windows.
3.) Keep the Music app or iTunes for Windows open so your library can finish uploading.

This information is provided in If songs are missing from your music library after you turn on Sync Library

If those steps don’t help, see if the songs are hidden with these steps:

1. Open the Apple Music app or the Apple TV app.
2. In the menu bar at the top of your computer, choose Account > Account Settings.
3. If prompted, sign in with your Apple ID.
4. On the page that appears, scroll to the Downloads and Purchases section. Next to Hidden Purchases, click Manage.
Where to find Manage in the Downloads and Purchases section on a Mac
5. Under the item, click Unhide.

Read more information about this in the article Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books.

Cheers.

Song purchased as both single and part of album doesn't show in album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.