Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create new folders in Monterey

I was with Sierra on a 12-year old MacPro, after 37 years of Mac experience. I just bought a refurb Mac Mini with Monterey installed, and immediately updated it to the latest version. Even though I can create a new folder on the desktop, I can't do that elsewhere. I can't move that new desktop folder anywhere else either, so it's almost useless. In the Finder, the command New Folder is greyed out. Apple simply says that if that's the case it's because you can't do that (of course!!!), but without offering a solution, which is highly frustrating.

I'm the Admin, so it should not be a question of Permissions... I surmise the problem is related to the new drive structure (one part read-only, and the Data part read-write), but only a single entry (the internal SSD) shows up in the Finder sidebar.

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 5:35 AM

You can add folders anywhere inside your home folder, under /Users/Shared as already noted, and in other places like /usr/local - but you should only do that with good reason. The latter, and some others, is where many command line programs are installed. For anything that is user specific you should stay within your home folder.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2022 5:35 AM in response to Golden-Star

You can add folders anywhere inside your home folder, under /Users/Shared as already noted, and in other places like /usr/local - but you should only do that with good reason. The latter, and some others, is where many command line programs are installed. For anything that is user specific you should stay within your home folder.

Apr 3, 2022 2:57 PM in response to Golden-Star

I'm the Admin, so it should not be a question of Permissions...

Then you don’t understand the Unix permission model, along with the more advanced security model in macOS.

An admin user doesn’t convey omnipotent powers to that user. It merely allows the user to temporarily elevate their privileges to a higher level in order to take care of administrative tasks.

The closest thing to an omnipotent user that exists in Unix is root. However, Apple has severely curtailed root’s power with System Integrity Protection and the sealed, read-only System Volume.

You can make all the folders you want inside your home folder. There are a few other locations where you are allowed to modify, but if you just stick with your home folder, you won’t find any frustration.

Apr 6, 2022 8:33 AM in response to Golden-Star

You may have been away for a long time.

Putting stuff at the top level of the hard drive has been recommended against for over twenty years; it has been "forbidden" for at least two years.

It was already not possible in Catalina, and much less so in Big Sur and Monterey, since now that area is part of a read-only volume; not even the OS or "root" can make changes, and that is a good thing. It makes the system much more secure.

Can't create new folders in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.