Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't I import songs from my music library to iMovie

Trying to import a couple songs to imovie to add to my production for private use and they can't be dragged into Imovie for use...is this a copyright issue?

Mac mini, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 2:15 PM

Yes, it could be copyright protection that is preventing the music from being used in iMovie. All music in which Apple Music is involved in the chain of purchase is DRM (copyright) protected and not usable in iMovie. Also, songs that are in the cloud need to be downloaded before use in iMovie. Music that was purchased through iTunes after year 2009 is DRM free and can be used.

It could also be that the songs are in an incompatible format, although not likely since iMovie supports many formats.

You could try deleting preferences and see if that cures it. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old

library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2022 2:15 PM in response to kstop57

Yes, it could be copyright protection that is preventing the music from being used in iMovie. All music in which Apple Music is involved in the chain of purchase is DRM (copyright) protected and not usable in iMovie. Also, songs that are in the cloud need to be downloaded before use in iMovie. Music that was purchased through iTunes after year 2009 is DRM free and can be used.

It could also be that the songs are in an incompatible format, although not likely since iMovie supports many formats.

You could try deleting preferences and see if that cures it. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old

library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

why can't I import songs from my music library to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.