Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to use Protected AAC songs in iMovie

Two questions:

I am making an iMovie (GREAT APP!). Some songs cannot be imported from my iTunes library into iMovie, including songs where the File info is "Protected AAC audio file." I really like them and I am wondering if there is a workaround that allows their use in iMovie?

I am willing to repurchase the songs from the iTunes store if that will allow me to use them. Is there a way to tell in advance of purchase if the file format prevents it from being imported into an iMovie?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 7:01 PM

3 replies

Apr 13, 2022 3:09 AM in response to Eliot Hudson

You cannot use DRM protected content as assets in third party software. If you purchase a copy of the item you should be able to remove your current download, then download the purchased copy. That said, if you have an Apple Music subscription you may need to turn off options for lossless downloads lest the app try to download a higher quality protected version of the track.

tt2

Apr 13, 2022 10:49 AM in response to turingtest2

I think that the "solution" for particular songs is to repurchase them from the iTunes store (or acquire a non-protected version elsewhere). Apple says that since 2009 iTunes songs are not DRM protected.

That approach worked for the particular songs in which I am interested. Fortunately, I don't need to repurchase all of the hundreds of older songs in my library because I only intend to use a few in a way in which it matters (all legitimate personal use).

Trying to use Protected AAC songs in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.