Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to use Protected AAC songs in iMovie?

Two questions:

I am making an iMovie (GREAT APP!). Some songs cannot be imported from my iTunes library into iMovie, including songs where the File info is "Protected AAC audio file." I really like them and I am wondering if there is a workaround that allows their use in iMovie?

I am willing to repurchase the songs from the iTunes store if that will allow me to use them. Is there a way to tell in advance of purchase if the file format prevents it from being imported into an iMovie?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 7:25 PM

There is no legal way to use your present DRM protected songs in iMovie. The rules of this forum preclude us from advising how to defeat copyrights. The post will usually be taken down.

However, songs purchased after year 2009 in iTunes are almost always DRM free. So, if the songs are available for purchase in iTunes you should be able to repurchase DRM free versions of the songs that you have. They only cost about a dollar, so you can try one and see if it plays.

-- Rich

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 7:25 PM in response to Eliot Hudson

There is no legal way to use your present DRM protected songs in iMovie. The rules of this forum preclude us from advising how to defeat copyrights. The post will usually be taken down.

However, songs purchased after year 2009 in iTunes are almost always DRM free. So, if the songs are available for purchase in iTunes you should be able to repurchase DRM free versions of the songs that you have. They only cost about a dollar, so you can try one and see if it plays.

-- Rich

Apr 13, 2022 10:07 AM in response to léonie

Hi, léonie,

I just now combed the iTunes website and I don't see any way to confirm DRM free prior to purchase. iTunes claims that all of its songs are now DRM free. From their Help menu:

And again:

I can't find any way, prior to purchase, to confirm that a song is an iTunes Plus song (thus DRM free) or to confirm the bit rate and codec as 256 Kbps/AAC to establish it as an iTunes Plus song. So we have to take iTune's word for it.

Apparently the only way to find out for sure is to purchase the song. Or, if the song is available as an iTunes Plus song, you can upgrade it, apparently by repurchasing it. (Fortunately, fairly inexpensive unless one has tons of songs to convert.) As I recall, upgrading through iTunes Match was supposed to provide a DRM free song, but you have found otherwise.

As you probably remember, a few years ago it was common to remove DRM by burning the song to a CD and downloading from there, that I don't even know works any more. We (or many of us) were unsophisticated about copyright laws back then.

If you find an anwer to this, please post back.

Best to you,

Rich

Apr 13, 2022 12:44 PM in response to Eliot Hudson

Supposedly, if one subscribes to the iTunes Match Program, DRM free versions of protected songs can be downloaded. Léonie has found, however, that that is not always true. The subscription costs $24.99 per year. However, once you have downloaded the songs you can always cancel the subscription. Might be practical since you have hundreds of DRM protected songs.

Since you have so many DRM protected songs, you must have purchased them before year 2010. Otherwise they mostly should be DRM free. Open your iTunes library and do a Control-click on the song title and then click on Song Info >File to see if it is protected. For Example:

Maybe many of your songs are actually DRM free.

-- Rich

Apr 12, 2022 11:45 PM in response to Eliot Hudson

No, of course you are doing nothing wrong, and your intentions are completely honest. I wasn’t at all suggesting otherwise. There was nothing about your post that was in any way improper.

We have to live with the copyright laws that often preclude or restrict our use of songs and videos. On the other side, the artists are entitled to market and monetize their own works in accordance with the licenses that they grant. Without copyright protection we would have fewer songs. So it is important to keep the protections, and for us not to advise how to circumvent them. Doesn’t hurt to ask, though. 😊

— Rich

Apr 13, 2022 2:38 AM in response to Rich839

Rich, do you know, how we can tell when purchasing a song from the iTunes Store, if it will be DRM free? In 2009 I converted most of my songs to DRM free versions by paying a fee to to iTunes Store. Several songs could not be converted, however, because Apple could not offer DRM free versions.These songs also retained the digital rights when I upgraded to iTunes Match. Before trying to purchase a song again, I would like to be sure, that the new version will be free of DMR.

Is there a way to use Protected AAC songs in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.