Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selecting a backup to use during migration 5th Gen TimeCapsule to MBPro 2021

Question 3 of 3:

if you read question 1 of 3 below you will know i can not access any backups in TimeMachine from my 5th Gen TimeCapsule. I need to be able to choose the backup from 3/28/22. The backup after that is junk a blank slate, it was not a successful backup.

I am worried that when in migration assistant, the back up i need 3/28/2022 will not be shown, only showing the ones after the OS update on 3/29/22 which are on 3/29/22 and or 3/30/22 as it was trying to backup overnight when this took place.

when i go into Time Machine Preferences it shows my oldest backup being 3/3/2018 and the last update being 3/30/2022.

3a) are you able to choose/ select another back up disk other than what is shown? example of this in the image below, it shows 2 available, is there a way to choose something other than those 2?

Apple tech i spoke with when i bought my 2021 MBPro says it better to use the the restore/ during migration from TimeCapsule vs MBPro to MBPro.

3b) if my backup on 3/28/2022 cant be accessed i would have to go MBPro to MBPro migration, is this the correct assumption?

i

n my other posted question 2 of 3 selection underlined in green,

3c) Does that mean replacing the account and user is not possible or would i carry over the same user/ admin, and if so that means if there was a permissions problem with that user/ admin on the MBPro would that problem carry over in a MBPro to MBPro migration?

thank you

3d) in my post below 1 of 3 questions, if the problem is caused by the last update, will apple be correcting that in another update so my problem being stuck in preparing and not being able to back up to TimeCapsule be fixed?

thank you,

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 6:56 AM

Answer answered in another posted question by Bob T

Similar questions

1 reply

Selecting a backup to use during migration 5th Gen TimeCapsule to MBPro 2021

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.