Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access iTunes Match collection from the original device

I keep all my music on an external hard drive, which I hook up to my MacBook Pro when I want to listen. Now I've subscribed to iTunes Match and uploaded everything. I can access my collection from my OTHER devices, but the MacBook Pro can still only play the music when I'm connected to the external hard drive. I've turned sync-ing on and off and on again, but still get the "Can't Find File" message for all my songs unless I have the hard drive connected.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 7:19 PM

Ah, first you use the option-start method to create a new empty library, in which you then enable sync library. The empty library will populate with cloud links to your iCloud Music Library. No awkward moments when you try to play something that isn't there. Thereafter you option-start only when you want to switch from one library to the other.

tt2

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2022 7:19 PM in response to wunderkind_a

Ah, first you use the option-start method to create a new empty library, in which you then enable sync library. The empty library will populate with cloud links to your iCloud Music Library. No awkward moments when you try to play something that isn't there. Thereafter you option-start only when you want to switch from one library to the other.

tt2

Apr 4, 2022 1:05 PM in response to wunderkind_a

Press and hold down option as you launch Music and create a new library, e.g. Cloud Library. See Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support (it is the same for iTunes Match) and you will see your cloud library. Option-start-Music to connect to the original library when you want to add new content to it so you have all of your originals in one place on your external drive.

tt2

Apr 4, 2022 5:52 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. This sort of works... When I option-launch it does not show me an iTunes Match library to select. So when I just stick with the default, and select a song that is not on my machine, it first tells me it can't find the file... but then plays the song anyway when I hit cancel. It's clunky, but I guess it's fine. Thanks for the help.

Can't access iTunes Match collection from the original device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.