Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing dv video from DCR-PC110E

Hello everyone 

Got my old camera from my parents and been trying to transfer the tapes to my MacBook Pro 

I’m using 4 cables to do it through FireWire input.

For some reason iMovie or even premier pro doesn’t recognize the camera

But when I check the system report it shows the camera

Any ideas on how to solve it? tnx to all

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 1:06 AM

12 replies

Apr 6, 2022 10:27 AM in response to robert fromottawa

To get maximum exposure, you should post your question in a new thread, including all of your details such as camera model, cable connections used, operating system used, iMovie version used. Otherwise responses can get confusing since every setup is different.

Most tape based cameras are supported by iMovie, even if not shown on the supported camera list.

However, as I said earlier, importing digital tape can be somewhat hit or miss. There recently have been reported problems with importing DV when running the current Monterey operating system.

Recognition problems can be caused by cable connection issues as well. A faulty cable or faulty or cheap adapter, or a defective computer socket, or a loose connection can cause the Mac not to recognize the camera. Other than loose cables, cable issues may not be visible to the eye, so the only way is to change out the cable and/or adapters to see if they work. Can be a bit of an expense.

Sometimes getting the tape running can trigger recognition.

You might try resetting your System Management Controller (although not available for the new M1 computers). It is easy to do, mostly a matter of booting up while holding down certain keys. This link gives instructions:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

-- Rich

Apr 6, 2022 12:07 PM in response to robert fromottawa

You probably know this, but for info to others.

Apple Support cannot say that a particular model of DV or HDV camcorder is not on the list of supported cameras for iMovie because they do not list these tape based models by model number any more.

They used to list the compatible cameras by model number but more recently they issue a statement that says most DV and HDV cameras are compatible.

This is a screen shot of the very bottom of the long list of compatible cameras issued by Apple only a week ago, March 29th 2022. So I assume that they intend for DV and HDV camcorders to still work with Monterey 12.3 and 12.3.1

Apr 7, 2022 8:33 AM in response to Rich839

I reset SMC and NVRAM but no change. Then I received the attached document. Appears all software where input from an external camera is an option would be affected. An example would be LifeFlix for which I am attaching a file. . I am hoping enough users will express their concerns and Apple will fix this issue. The document on this post from Apple would seem to indicate it is still their intention to continue support for the cameras? Appreciate your help on this issue.

Apr 6, 2022 7:51 AM in response to alon289

I have same problem with my Sony camera shown under Hardware but not detected in imovie. It was working up until Monterey 12.3 update. I thought 12.3.1 update might correct it but it did not. I also downloaded other software that use external camera and camera was not detected. Seems to be an iOS bug but not sure where to go from here. I am not a heavy system user but do use iMovie a lot with video footage from external camera.

Apr 6, 2022 8:54 AM in response to alon289

Importing DV tape into iMovie 10 can be hit or miss. Most of the time it works and sometimes it doesn't. As thesurreyfriends mentioned in this thread, there particularly have been posts reporting problems when trying to import DV tape while using the Monterey operating system.

Instead of importing directly into iMovie, try importing into the QuickTimePlayer app on your Mac. If it works, you will get one long video clip without scene breaks, that you can then import into iMovie to edit.

-- Rich

Apr 6, 2022 10:01 AM in response to Rich839

My external camera is not detected in Quick Time or Image Capture . I have never before had a problem with iMovie detecting the external camera but the face time camera does show. When I initially contacted Apple Support they refer me to iMovie staff and then say my camera is not on the list of supported cameras but I have been using it for years.There is no way Apple could have ever tested all cameras from various makes and determined if the system would support them so suspect they just generalised and based the list on other criteria. My camera is a Sony Digital tape about 17 years old and some other cameras referred to in the other posts are much newer than mine but we appear to have the same problem. I appreciate your interest in my problem as it is big one for me as I do a lot of iMovies using very old video clips. I did make a full report on the Apple Feedback forum. Do you know if that is an effective vehicle to resolve problems? Thanks

Importing dv video from DCR-PC110E

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.