Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Health at 89% after 11 months

Hi,

iPhone 12 Pro Max (512 g storage) After 11 months my Battery Maximum Capacity is at 89%. I have Optimized Battery Charging On. Location Services disabled on almost all applications. I had reached out to Apple Support about battery replacement since I have Apple Care with Theft and Loss Protection. I think they said it has to go below 80% to be replaced. I travel extensively overseas for long periods of time and the healthier the battery the better. I’m planning to travel in the near future for 2 to 4 months and most places do not have authorized Apple stores to replace the battery if it falls below 80%. I hike a lot of mountains.

Is this common to see a 11% decline in battery health after 11 months of usage?

Does anyone know how much Apple charges to replace the battery when not covered by the warranty?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Rick

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 1:31 PM

The nominal rating is 500 cycles to a "typical" battery health of 80%. Of course there's no way that every single battery follows that. It's just a couple of round numbers, and 80% is the industry standard for when a lithium-ion battery is "depleted". Some do better and some do worse, as with anything that will eventually wear out. Apple makes no guarantees about the performance other than it will be replaced under warranty or extended warranty if it goes below 80% (before reaching 500 cycles) before the end of the warranty.

What you have might be worse than average, but there's really nothing you can do other than pay for a battery replacement. I understand that currently Apple will do that on demand, when a few years ago they simply wouldn't unless the battery had already dropped below 80%. The battery service cost from Apple is $69 (in the United States) for any notched iPhone. It may be different depending in other countries. The service price may be different from an Apple Authorized Service Provider, but it tends to be about the same price as from Apple. They might require shipping if they have it in stock and they send it to an Apple service center. Also there's mail-in service and that requires the standard shipping fee (just outbound though, and Apple will provide a prepaid shipping box to send it to them). There are other considerations, such as making sure that it's backed up, as Apple or an AASP may delete all data (for various reasons) or even just replace the entire device. Also - Find My iPhone needs to be turned off before any service.

iPhone Battery Replacement - Official Apple Support

If you have any other concerns, it might make sense to carry a USB power bank and short Lightning cable with you, as if can extend the time you can use it. I personally carry an 8000 mAh rated one in my pocket.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2022 1:31 PM in response to RickinPhx

The nominal rating is 500 cycles to a "typical" battery health of 80%. Of course there's no way that every single battery follows that. It's just a couple of round numbers, and 80% is the industry standard for when a lithium-ion battery is "depleted". Some do better and some do worse, as with anything that will eventually wear out. Apple makes no guarantees about the performance other than it will be replaced under warranty or extended warranty if it goes below 80% (before reaching 500 cycles) before the end of the warranty.

What you have might be worse than average, but there's really nothing you can do other than pay for a battery replacement. I understand that currently Apple will do that on demand, when a few years ago they simply wouldn't unless the battery had already dropped below 80%. The battery service cost from Apple is $69 (in the United States) for any notched iPhone. It may be different depending in other countries. The service price may be different from an Apple Authorized Service Provider, but it tends to be about the same price as from Apple. They might require shipping if they have it in stock and they send it to an Apple service center. Also there's mail-in service and that requires the standard shipping fee (just outbound though, and Apple will provide a prepaid shipping box to send it to them). There are other considerations, such as making sure that it's backed up, as Apple or an AASP may delete all data (for various reasons) or even just replace the entire device. Also - Find My iPhone needs to be turned off before any service.

iPhone Battery Replacement - Official Apple Support

If you have any other concerns, it might make sense to carry a USB power bank and short Lightning cable with you, as if can extend the time you can use it. I personally carry an 8000 mAh rated one in my pocket.

Apr 5, 2022 5:46 PM in response to RickinPhx

Batteries are consumables; they lose a little capacity every time they are discharged, then recharged. On average this works out to about a 1% loss for every 25 “full charge cycles”. As one example, if you charge the phone overnight, every night (and that is what you should do; it is a best practice), it starts the day at 100%. If it drops to 20% by the end of the day before you charge it again overnight that counts as 0.8 full charge cycles (20% to 100%), or about 24 full charge cycles per month of use. For this example your battery capacity will lose about 1% per month. Of course, if the end-of-day level is higher than 20% the capacity loss will be a little less, and if it is lower than 20%, or you charge it during the day, the capacity loss will be higher.

Battery Health at 89% after 11 months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.