Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unresponsive keyboard

Problem:

The keyboard on my MacBook is completely unresponsive. No keys register when pressed. The backlight does not work and the touch bar is intact. The trackpad also is fine. I had to connect an external keyboard to just enter my password and write this question up. This laptop was fine one day and i let it die. I plugged it in to charge and when I got to the login screen I found that keyboard didn't work at all. its a mac book pro 13 inch 2017. please help me.

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 7:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 9:34 PM

Amberwojo Said:

"Unresponsive keyboard: [...]The trackpad also is fine. I had to connect an external keyboard to just enter my password and write this question up. [...]its a mac book pro 13 inch 2017. please help me."

-------

Troubleshooting Internal Keyboard:

Perform the Following with the External Keyboard:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2022 9:34 PM in response to Amberwojo

Amberwojo Said:

"Unresponsive keyboard: [...]The trackpad also is fine. I had to connect an external keyboard to just enter my password and write this question up. [...]its a mac book pro 13 inch 2017. please help me."

-------

Troubleshooting Internal Keyboard:

Perform the Following with the External Keyboard:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

Unresponsive keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.