Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard bluetooth drop outs

I have a 2013 iMac (which is fine). I still use the battery keyboard (it says batteries 100%). The problem is that the connection between keyboard and computer (they are geographically close - about a foot) sometimes spontaneously drops out and I see I've missed a few letters when typing occasionally. Most of the time OK but ...... Any suggestions please?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 10:48 AM

Both your 2012 iMac & keyboard are obsolete, replace ASAP. It’s not “OK” just because it runs fine. Not having the latest OS or hardware means you’re running without important security enhancements, not be confused with critical security upgrades which currently get pushed out about twice a year (but will eventually grind to a halt).

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2022 10:48 AM in response to Bluegallileo

Both your 2012 iMac & keyboard are obsolete, replace ASAP. It’s not “OK” just because it runs fine. Not having the latest OS or hardware means you’re running without important security enhancements, not be confused with critical security upgrades which currently get pushed out about twice a year (but will eventually grind to a halt).

Apr 6, 2022 7:03 AM in response to Bluegallileo

To rule out a hardware issue, you will need to test a different keyboard.

(wireless or USB, most any will work with a Mac)

To rule out a possible resource or lack of resource issue.

Run EtreCheck Pro on your iMac and post back here with the Report.

only get EtreCheck Pro directly from the developer at > https://etrecheck.com

Then for instructions and help posting back here with your EtreCheck Pro Report,

see > How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Apr 7, 2022 10:38 AM in response to hcsitas

Thanks. I did all that. I'm afraid on typing just now the connection was briefly lost a couple of times.

I wasn't able to do the test with another keyboard as there are none available. I could try and fin/borrow one. May I ask please - how long do you think this 2012 iMac will continue to be OK for? An impossible question I guess. If I end up buying another keyboard, will I be able to buy a new iMac when the time comes less the keyboard?

Many thanks.

Keyboard bluetooth drop outs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.