Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external display dead pixel, but not on full screen?

I noticed a few dead/dark pixels on my new external ASUS monitor.

Checked full screens of different colors to see dead pixels.

In full screen there were no dead pixels visible.

But as soon as I exited full screen, the pixels go dark again.

This happens in different apps. I can see the dark pixels in Safari, but not in full-screen Safari. Same for Finder windows and Music, etc, in full screen they show up, out of full screen they go dark.

What is happening to make pixels work in full screen, but not in non-full screen?

Weird.

Brand new 16" MBP M1, Monterey 12.3, using an ASUS VA24E to extended my display.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 7:52 AM

I searched for ways to check issues with dead pixels, and maybe fix them. There are some guides online that say sometimes you can fix pixel problems yourself, or they may go away without needing to return the monitor.

In my case. The issue seems to have fixed itself after a restart. Weird. I do not know why the pixels worked across different apps in Full Screen mode, but at least two spots of a total of 8 visible pixels were dark in all other modes. No idea. Hopefully it won't be a problem again. Glad I don't need to return the monitor.

My advice? Try restarting?

I also ran Disk Utility's Disk First Aid before restarting, if that made any difference.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2022 7:52 AM in response to brucefromvancouver

I searched for ways to check issues with dead pixels, and maybe fix them. There are some guides online that say sometimes you can fix pixel problems yourself, or they may go away without needing to return the monitor.

In my case. The issue seems to have fixed itself after a restart. Weird. I do not know why the pixels worked across different apps in Full Screen mode, but at least two spots of a total of 8 visible pixels were dark in all other modes. No idea. Hopefully it won't be a problem again. Glad I don't need to return the monitor.

My advice? Try restarting?

I also ran Disk Utility's Disk First Aid before restarting, if that made any difference.

Apr 6, 2022 1:08 PM in response to brucefromvancouver

This is very likely an Asus problem. However, pretty much all monitor makers will only replace the device is there is a certain number of dead pixels and they fall within a certain "viewing area" on screen. Three in the extreme bottom right corner is likely not covered by the warranty; dead center of the viewing area likely is. You need to talk to Asus. But if it's out of warranty, it's out of warranty.

external display dead pixel, but not on full screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.