Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New Macbook Pro 2021 Slow and Freezing Up

I don't know if I got a lemon, or what, but my brand spanking new Macbook (2021, 13" M1, 1TB, 16GB) is processing at least twice as slowly as my old 2015 Pro. When trying to change some desktop properties, System Preferences froze up and couldn't be force quit. I had transferred the entirety of my old laptop onto the new, and thought that might be the issue; but I've got 700GB of storage free. The heck, y'all.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 7:08 AM

"Works in Safe mode, fails in regular mode" implies "It's something you added".

The drive in this computer is more than 100 times the typical speed of computers a decade older. If you have installed software that wastes computer resources on a regular basis, such as speeder-uppers, Cleaner-uppers/Removers, Optimizers, Virus Scanners, third-party file Sync-ers such as DropBox, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive, or a VPN that you installed yourself, it will do busywork at previously-impossible speeds.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2022 7:08 AM in response to yet-another-emily

"Works in Safe mode, fails in regular mode" implies "It's something you added".

The drive in this computer is more than 100 times the typical speed of computers a decade older. If you have installed software that wastes computer resources on a regular basis, such as speeder-uppers, Cleaner-uppers/Removers, Optimizers, Virus Scanners, third-party file Sync-ers such as DropBox, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive, or a VPN that you installed yourself, it will do busywork at previously-impossible speeds.

Apr 8, 2022 4:37 PM in response to yet-another-emily

Sure. A senior contributor on the forums wrote this now well-respected "discovery" Utility called Etrecheck. It fixes NOTHING. Its sole purpose is to generate a report about what is going on inside your Mac, and its report is pre-laundered of any personally-identifiable information. Readers here are getting really good and finding bad actors and problems these reports. The default version is all you need initially.

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Brand New Macbook Pro 2021 Slow and Freezing Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.