Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music automatically plays when airpods are inserted

The music app opens and starts playing music the second that airpods are inserted. A solution presented on this website (Music automatically plays when I put my a… - Apple Community) suggests the following:

Go to settings. Go to cellular. Scroll down to find music. Toggle off.

This does not work.

iPhone XS, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 5:18 PM

Hey chiarezza,

We'd be happy to help out. Disabling cellular for the Music app would only prevent music from being played while not on Wi-Fi. If you just want to prevent auto starting music when using your AirPods, you'll need to turn off Auto Ear Detection.

Turn Automatic Ear Detection on or off
By default, AirPods sense when they're in your ear and receive the audio from your device. AirPods also pause and resume playback when you remove one of your AirPods, or stop playback—and won't resume—when you remove both. When you have Automatic Ear Detection on and you're not wearing your AirPods, audio plays through your device's speakers.

When you turn off Automatic Ear Detection, these features are off and all audio plays to your AirPods whether or not you're wearing them.

Here are the steps to disable:

1. Make sure your AirPods are paired with an iPhone or iPad.
  2. Go into Settings > Bluetooth.
  3. Find your AirPods and tap the (i) next to it.
  4. Turn off Automatic Ear Detection.

All this information and more is available here: Change the settings of your AirPods and AirPods Pro

Take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2022 5:18 PM in response to chiarezza

Hey chiarezza,

We'd be happy to help out. Disabling cellular for the Music app would only prevent music from being played while not on Wi-Fi. If you just want to prevent auto starting music when using your AirPods, you'll need to turn off Auto Ear Detection.

Turn Automatic Ear Detection on or off
By default, AirPods sense when they're in your ear and receive the audio from your device. AirPods also pause and resume playback when you remove one of your AirPods, or stop playback—and won't resume—when you remove both. When you have Automatic Ear Detection on and you're not wearing your AirPods, audio plays through your device's speakers.

When you turn off Automatic Ear Detection, these features are off and all audio plays to your AirPods whether or not you're wearing them.

Here are the steps to disable:

1. Make sure your AirPods are paired with an iPhone or iPad.
  2. Go into Settings > Bluetooth.
  3. Find your AirPods and tap the (i) next to it.
  4. Turn off Automatic Ear Detection.

All this information and more is available here: Change the settings of your AirPods and AirPods Pro

Take care!

Music automatically plays when airpods are inserted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.