Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to authorize old iTunes purchased music crashes Music app on Mac

I am suddenly unable to play any of my old iTunes purchases on my Mac. Whenever I attempt to play one, a box pops up asking me to sign in to authorize the music on this computer (even though the computer is already authorized). When I attempt to sign in, I get the spinning beachball and the app locks up and has to be force quit.

I am running Big Sur 11.6.5 on a 2014 Mac Mini. These songs have worked for years without any issues. They play fine on my iPhone.

I tried: clearing the Apple Music cache, deauthorizing/reauthorizing the computer, deleted one of the songs to see if I could redownload it... nothing works.

Any ideas?

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 3:58 PM

I contacted Apple Support and after spending a few hours on the phone/chat we were able to resolve it. Unfortunately it "just started working" so no wisdom to pass along for others who may have the same problem.

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 9, 2022 12:45 PM in response to jwalker262

Hello jwalker262,

We want you to go back to listening to your favorite songs again. Let's explore this together to find steps that apply.

Redownload music and follow the specific steps under:

Redownload music from the iTunes Store in the Apple Music app on your Mac

It sounds like you've already tried the steps in this article:

Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases

If you've tried all these steps make sure to Contact Apple Support for further help.

We hope this helps.

Cheers.

Trying to authorize old iTunes purchased music crashes Music app on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.