Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2x Mac M1 OS Corrupted with 12.3.1 update (21E258)

Just a FYI. After updating to 12.3.1 on Macbook Pro M1 Silicone and Macbook Air Silicon has corrupted both OSX Operating Systems, requiring a full re-store and re-install.

The Macbook Air couldn't find the start-up disk after restarting once the update was done, and the M1 Pro after the update corrupted the the start-up boot, requiring a revive from another M1 to get the system back-up.

Never in the 10+ years I've owned Macbooks has an update caused the corrupt os of two Macbooks, be very cautious and make sure you back-up any data before installing the update, especially before restarting AFTER the update!

Seems very similar to the 9to5mac article that 12.3 bricked 14-inch and 16-inch Macbook but there was no repair, these are 6-month old brand new devices.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/17/repaired-m1-macs-being-bricked/

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 10:05 PM

OSX12corruptedm1 Said:

"2x Mac M1 OS Corrupted with 12.3.1 update (21E258): [...]The Macbook Air couldn't find the start-up disk after restarting once the update was done, and the M1 Pro after the update corrupted the the start-up boot, requiring a revive from another M1 to get the system back-up.[...]"

-------

Mount the Drive:

Seems as if the drive became unmounted, somehow. Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive or installer are seen. If so, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for them. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2022 10:05 PM in response to OSX12corruptedm1

OSX12corruptedm1 Said:

"2x Mac M1 OS Corrupted with 12.3.1 update (21E258): [...]The Macbook Air couldn't find the start-up disk after restarting once the update was done, and the M1 Pro after the update corrupted the the start-up boot, requiring a revive from another M1 to get the system back-up.[...]"

-------

Mount the Drive:

Seems as if the drive became unmounted, somehow. Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive or installer are seen. If so, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for them. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

Apr 10, 2022 1:57 PM in response to OSX12corruptedm1

I just did the 12.3.1 update on a 2020 M1 MBPro and also experienced something weird. It seems to have loaded the desktop from some other profile. It changed the name of the Start Up drive and loaded some older desktop files I sort of recognize. I signed in and out of iCloud and that got rid of the older desktop pdfs, but did not restore the HardDrive name. I don't think I lost anything...I can't really tell as this is a new to me MBPro 13".

It seems to be working ok. I may have complicated my life as I was also reconfiguring an older MacBook Air at the same time. Perhaps the "dueling" applications to sign onto my iCloud account caused my 12.3.1 issue. Who knows? Really ,very very strange.

2x Mac M1 OS Corrupted with 12.3.1 update (21E258)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.