Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Studio Display has "Choppy Audio" from the display speakers

I have a brand new Apple Studio Display connected to a Mac mini with the Thunderbolt cable that came with the display.

It worked great for a couple of weeks.

But then one day, the audio became choppy.

I tried audio from websites and from iTunes. Still choppy audio.

I tried new Thunderbolt cable. Still choppy audio.

I tried playing the audio from the Mac mini speakers. NO Problem.

I tried the display connected to an Intel iMac. Display is OK

I played the audio to my iMac speakers, NO Problem.

I played the audio from the display speakers, Still choppy audio.

I conclude that the choppy audio problem is due to the Studio Display.

Anyone else have this same problem?

I suspect that the problem is the firmware for the A13 Bionic chip inside the apple Studio Display.

How can I fix it?

HELP !!!

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 9:48 AM

Thanks for your reply. I actually did unplug the display from everything, and that did not fix the issue. But based on your response, I left it unplugged for longer (about an hour) and now everything works just fine. Thanks!

69 replies

Apr 10, 2022 5:04 PM in response to mcpete

Sorry it did not work for you.

When I said to remove it from its power source, I meant to UNPLUG it from the wall outlet or from a power strip. The A13 chip in the display needs to get reset.

Maybe you could try unplugging the display from wall or power strip when you go to bed tonight and then plug it in again tomorrow morning. It worked for me and I was really surprised.

Apr 9, 2022 9:53 AM in response to tomac14

There is a separate Display forum that now has many posts on the Studio Display:

Displays - Apple Community

There is a firmware update for the Studio display too but some people are having problem

Can't update studio display - Apple Community

Studio Display Firmware Update 15.4 - not working

studio display won't update

You might have better luck posting in the Display forum

Apr 22, 2022 4:38 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks for including a web link to the Displays -Apple Community.

I tried to find it but was not able, so that's why I posted on this site.

I may have overlooked it or maybe this website has not yet been updated to include Displays.

Either way, using your link I found it and post my problem there.

Thanks again for the link to the Displays.

Apr 30, 2022 4:18 PM in response to tomac14

I am experiencing the same problem everyone is citing here. Called Apple Support and was referred to a senior technician who said he wanted to stay on the case until it was resolved because it's a new computer and, apparently, because other people are experiencing the same issue. We found that when the sound went through the Studio computer's speakers, the sound was fine. When I attached my MacBook Pro to the Studio Display, the sound was fine. Oddly, the only combination that was a problem was playing sound from the Studio Computer through the Studio Display's speakers, leading to the conclusion that the issue is a software problem in the Computer and not in the Display, consequently it seems that simply powering off the Display will not be a permanent fix. He had me reinstall the OS and that has cured nothing. I have a follow-up phone call with him tomorrow. If we're able to find a fix, I'll post more.

Apr 30, 2022 4:28 PM in response to SRB1776

My experience would indicate it's a Display issue, and not a computer issue.

When this occurred for me, restarting computer did not fix the issue. Even through 2 restarts, sound was still choppy.

When I routed the computer sound to my Sonos external speakers instead of the Studio Display, the sound was normal.

Reverting back to Studio Display, sound was choppy.

The only fix was powering off the Display and leaving it off for several minutes before powering on.

Interestingly, it has never re-occurred for me to date...

Apple Studio Display has "Choppy Audio" from the display speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.