Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

numbers problem with autofill

Hi, I have been using numbers for years, although I'm not a power user. When I want to autofill a cell or cells in a column, I simply grab the yellow handle on the bottom of the cell and drag down. This particular column, which totals my other columns, is suddenly not showing the yellow handle on the sides or bottom. The column next to it shows the yellow handle.

There was a post awhile back from Mr. Quinn, who helped someone else in a similar situation. The solution, I believe, was to select the column, go into format and make the table header was set to zero.

I tried this solution and my table headers are at zero. Any thoughts?

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 2:58 PM

Have you closed and re-launched Numbers since first noticing this issue.

If so, try closing it again, then pressing shift as you re-launch it. Numbers may take a bit longer to relaunch, as it goes through a different set of startup routines.

If that doesn't succeed, you may need a restart into Safe Mode. Instructions for booting into Safe Mode differ slightly for intel based Macs and Macs running Apple Silicon. Details here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

REgards,

Barry

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2022 2:58 PM in response to jkenyan

Have you closed and re-launched Numbers since first noticing this issue.

If so, try closing it again, then pressing shift as you re-launch it. Numbers may take a bit longer to relaunch, as it goes through a different set of startup routines.

If that doesn't succeed, you may need a restart into Safe Mode. Instructions for booting into Safe Mode differ slightly for intel based Macs and Macs running Apple Silicon. Details here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

REgards,

Barry

Apr 9, 2022 1:39 PM in response to jkenyan

I'm assumng you are trying to fill th formula in the selected cell into one or more cells below and in the same column.

Try this:

Click on the 'source' cell to select it.

Copy.

With the source cell still selected, scroll to the last 'target' cell that is to receive the formula.

Press shift, and click on that last cell to add it and all cells between it and the source cell to the selection.

Paste.

Regards,

Barry

PS: Always useful to include the software version number (Numbers menu > About Numbers) and the version number of macOS installed in your Mac (Aple menu > About this Mac).

B.

numbers problem with autofill

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.