Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac aint connecting to iCloud

MacBook Air (13-inch, Late 2010) (OS 10.13.6) aint syncing 2 iCloud drive or connecting 2 icloud properly

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 3:17 PM

I understand. When I said Time Machine Backup, I was meaning a backup to an external hard drive plugged into your computer and using the Time Machine Backup app in MacOS. This is in addition to having your stuff backed up in iCloud. This way you actually have 2 separate backups in 2 separate locations. The external hard drive backup from Time Machine can be used to restore your computer directly, without having to use the internet. But external drives also get lost, broken, stolen, die, or may not be with you when you are away from home. Having both Time Machine Backups at home and iCloud backups in the cloud are a good thing. You can never have too many backups.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2022 3:17 PM in response to natozuski

I understand. When I said Time Machine Backup, I was meaning a backup to an external hard drive plugged into your computer and using the Time Machine Backup app in MacOS. This is in addition to having your stuff backed up in iCloud. This way you actually have 2 separate backups in 2 separate locations. The external hard drive backup from Time Machine can be used to restore your computer directly, without having to use the internet. But external drives also get lost, broken, stolen, die, or may not be with you when you are away from home. Having both Time Machine Backups at home and iCloud backups in the cloud are a good thing. You can never have too many backups.

Apr 10, 2022 10:38 AM in response to natozuski

Hello natozuski,

To help resolve issues with iCloud Drive not syncing make sure your MacBook Air is up-to-date:

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Before you get started, it's a good idea to back up your Mac. Then follow these steps to find and install any available software updates or upgrades.
1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.

2. In the System Preferences window, click Software Update.

If your System Preferences doesn't include Software Update, learn how to upgrade to macOS Monterey or upgrade to an older macOS, and use the Updates tab of the App Store app to get app updates.

3. Click Update Now or Upgrade Now:

• Update Now installs the latest updates for the currently installed version, such as an update from macOS Big Sur 11.5 to macOS Big Sur 11.6. 

• Upgrade Now installs a major new version with a new name, such as macOS Monterey. Software Update shows only upgrades that are compatible with your Mac.

Software Update preferences

When Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then macOS and all of the apps it installs are up to date, including Safari, Messages, Mail, Music, Photos, FaceTime, and Calendar.

If you downloaded any apps from the App Store, use the App Store to get updates for those apps.

If an error occurs while installing an update or upgrade, learn how to resolve installation issues

Next, follow the steps here:Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive

Best Regards.

Apr 10, 2022 10:43 AM in response to natozuski

Hello natozuski,

What seems to happen when you try connecting to iCloud? For example, do you get any error messages?

Is it just iCloud Drive that's having issues syncing, or are other aspects, such as Contacts, Reminders, etc., also having an issue?

This page here helps to provide some assistance for issues where you can't connect to iCloud: If you can't connect or sign in to iCloud

Cheers.

Apr 10, 2022 11:45 AM in response to natozuski

Thank you for the reply natozuski!

Since this occurs with multiple iCloud features, we will want to further isolate this issue. Does this occur any other devices you might own? If you not, or if you do not own another Apple device, let's attempt to isolate this issue by booting your Mac in safe mode:

Start up in safe mode

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, it is possible there is something in your user account causing this issue such as a login item. In that event, let's remove login items:

Remove login items to resolve startup problems on your Mac

Keep us posted.

Apr 10, 2022 11:33 AM in response to Eric_G1

hiiii

connecting 2 icloud from a browser works fine

in trying 2 connect to iCloud from system preferences here r my issues:

• iCloud drive aint workin (says an error wen trying 2 connect)
  • iCloud email aint workin (says 'cant connect to iCloud because of a problem' and 'an unknown error occurred' wen trying 2 connect within da mail app)
  • iCloud notes aint workin (says its no notes in da notes app wen dere are, which i can see from icloud on browser)
  • Find My Mac aint workin (says 'cannot be disabled' wen u try and turn it off)

it potentially problems in da other icloud services and i cba 2 checkkk

- nathaniel

Apr 10, 2022 2:35 PM in response to natozuski

Hey Natozuski,

There probably isn't anything that you can do about certificates. They expire and renew all the time on the internet, but as you see, the process doesn't always go well.

My best advice is to always have a current Time Machine Backup of your MacBook. Always. Having a current backup of all of your personal data is worth so much more than the price of the machine itself. Glad you were able to get this issue fixed.

Mac aint connecting to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.