Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what DVD software works on my imac external superdrive

My DVD Player software no longer works with the latest IOS update. What software should I use for my 2019 iMac 27"

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 5:23 PM

my apple USB superdrive is working just fine with the built in DVD player. like you, i too have a 2019 27" iMac that is currently running 12.3.1. first i need to ask, is the superdrive connected directly to the mac? or through a hub? besides that, there's a couple of things you can try.

first, go to System Preferences > CDs & DVDs and check and see if the options of what happens when you insert a disk have reset themselves.

if not, then you can shut down the mac, disconnect the superdrive, power the mac up, then reconnect the superdrive and test again.

if that didn't work, i would then try and reset the NVRAM / PRAM as well as reset the SMC.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2022 5:23 PM in response to Nboyars

my apple USB superdrive is working just fine with the built in DVD player. like you, i too have a 2019 27" iMac that is currently running 12.3.1. first i need to ask, is the superdrive connected directly to the mac? or through a hub? besides that, there's a couple of things you can try.

first, go to System Preferences > CDs & DVDs and check and see if the options of what happens when you insert a disk have reset themselves.

if not, then you can shut down the mac, disconnect the superdrive, power the mac up, then reconnect the superdrive and test again.

if that didn't work, i would then try and reset the NVRAM / PRAM as well as reset the SMC.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 11, 2022 8:11 AM in response to Nboyars

What do you mean it does not work? What exactly happens when you try?

Note that in recent versions you won't find DVD Player in /Applications, as before; but it is still there.

You can however search for it with Spotlight and then keep the icon in the Dock, for example, or make an alias and put that wherever you like.

FWIW, it is now located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications

what DVD software works on my imac external superdrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.