You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot restore HomePod mini on Mac

I am trying to restore my HomePod mini via my MacBook Pro but I get this error message: “The HomePod software update server could not be contacted. An unknown error occurred (-39).

The MacBook Pro is a 13” running the latest version of MacOS Monterrey 12.3.1

The HomePod mini is on the latest OS 15.4.1

I tried restoring another HomePod mini and got the same error message.

I have restarted the MacBook, my modem, and my router, several times.

Any suggestions to fix this issue?

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 12:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 11:23 PM

Hi.

If as many as 1/5th of users are facing this problem then that’s a huge percentage and it is unacceptable. Apple needs to fix this asap.

Yes, restarted everything. See my original message.

8 replies

Apr 11, 2022 12:25 PM in response to bgmeek

Hi @bgmeek,

Why I want to restore the HomePod is a separate discussion, my issue is that if I want to restore a HomePod I should be able to do it easily, just as I can restore a iPhone or iPad or other Apple device via the Mac.

About your speculations, none of those apply. All devices are registered to the same “region”. The power adaptor doesn’t come into the picture since the HomePod is plugged directly into the MacBook’s USB-C port. It draws power from the MacBook. This is as per Apple’s procedure.

Subsequent to posting here, I looked up Reddit and MacRumors and found many others have been experiencing this problem for over a year. The speculation is that this is a issue specific to the HomePod server since everyone is able to restore other Apple devices via the Mac without problems. There doesn’t appear to be a solution, which is quite disappointing.

Apr 10, 2022 1:15 PM in response to firozeM

Hi there, @firozeM...

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you mean "reset" rather than "restore"?

Before seeing your query, I hadn't seen folks refer to "restoring" a HomePod mini - I mean, restore what exactly? I then read this support article: Reset HomePod - Apple Support. Sure enough, it refers to connecting a HomePod mini to a Mac and selecting "Restore HomePod", yet it only refers to "restoring software" and "restore original settings" (which sort of sounds like a reset).

Does a plain old "Reset" fail using the Press the top of HomePod to reset it process described in the article referenced above?

I get the impression that the "restore" process is a fallback to re-install the original software if all else fails... Not sure if that means it will install whatever version of software your serial number left the factory with, or simply try to install whatever is now current for your device.

Apr 10, 2022 11:06 PM in response to bgmeek

Hi @bgmeek,

I want to Restore the HomePod mini firmware. A reset will merely erase personal setup data. Restoring will reinstall the firmware. It will be the latest firmware that is currently available. My HomePod is already on the latest firmware but it is misbehaving. Resetting it did not solve the issue, hence I am hoping a restore will fix it.

Apr 11, 2022 8:48 AM in response to firozeM

firozeM wrote:

Hi @bgmeek,
I want to Restore the HomePod mini firmware. A reset will merely erase personal setup data. Restoring will reinstall the firmware. It will be the latest firmware that is currently available. My HomePod is already on the latest firmware but it is misbehaving. Resetting it did not solve the issue, hence I am hoping a restore will fix it.

Hmmm. So the reset process worked as expected, but after setting it up again with your iPhone and Home app, the root problem you're trying to fix persisted. Correct?

I guess the failed restore process / "...unknown error occurred (-39)." puzzle is worth solving, but I'm skeptical that the results of a successful restore will be any different than the hard reset. I suspect the more fruitful discussion would be about the persistent root problem you're experiencing that is making you want to reinstall the firmware in the first place :-).

I'm not sure what we can do about the failed restore given you're running the latest MacOS and we accept the "HomePod software update server could not be contacted" message at face value... [wild speculation warning] could it be a mismatch having to do with your MacOS installation and your location in India? Another speculative thought: your macbook pro with a HomePod mini plugged in may demand a fairly high-watt USB-C PD power adapter... I gather the HomePod mini requires 20W for normal operation, so perhaps the power source needs to be capable of supplying your MBPro's power requirement + 20W?

Cannot restore HomePod mini on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.