Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emails deleted in Mac Mail on one laptop are not being deleted on my other mac or on server

When I delete emails in Mac Mail on a new laptop, they are not being deleted from my other laptop or from the server. Both are using the same OS. I have checked and all mailbox behavior items in Preferences are the same on both macs (macOS Monterey). Can anyone help?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 9:10 AM

cygraham wrote:

Sorry - I forgot to say its a new issue but what has changed is that I got a new Mac Air laptop - this is the one that I am having difficulty with (where I delete emails on it but they don't then get deleted on my other MacBook Pro or from the server.

Mail issues macOS Monterey — you can start here verify:

Open mail app select Mail>Preferences>Privacy  disable:

• “Protect Mail Activity” / 
  • “Hide IP address” /
  • “Block all remote content” 

Use Mail Privacy Protection on Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2022 9:10 AM in response to cygraham

cygraham wrote:

Sorry - I forgot to say its a new issue but what has changed is that I got a new Mac Air laptop - this is the one that I am having difficulty with (where I delete emails on it but they don't then get deleted on my other MacBook Pro or from the server.

Mail issues macOS Monterey — you can start here verify:

Open mail app select Mail>Preferences>Privacy  disable:

• “Protect Mail Activity” / 
  • “Hide IP address” /
  • “Block all remote content” 

Apr 11, 2022 8:58 AM in response to cygraham

cygraham wrote:

When I delete emails in Mac Mail on a new laptop, they are not being deleted from my other laptop or from the server. Both are using the same OS. I have checked and all mailbox behavior items in Preferences are the same on both macs (macOS Monterey). Can anyone help?

Old issue, new issue, what changed?

IMAP stays on the server and sync across devices

POP downloads off server and no sync across devices.

Problem IMAP accounts the go to way to sort issues is delete the account and add it back in.

You can contact your email provider and verify there are no issue on the server side...

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-lamr/guide/mail/mlhl9eb9408c/15.0/mac/12.0

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-lamr/guide/mail/mail35803/mac

Note—

• IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

• POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

• "On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

——————————————————————

Apr 11, 2022 9:08 AM in response to cygraham

cygraham wrote:

thanks for reply. The account is a University server one and is IMAP. I already tried deleting the Mail accounts (on both laptop) and adding them back but the problem persists. By email provider do you mean the University as it's a university email account? I suspect that they will say they know nothing about the Mac Mail client!!

Yes your email provider. Surely there is an IT department to help students with University issues.

If it is a server issue— you have no control over that. Good luck !

Emails deleted in Mac Mail on one laptop are not being deleted on my other mac or on server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.