Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I leave emails on mac after they are deleted from mail server

emails on my mac (Catalina OS) are deleted once they are deleted from my mail server. how do I keep those emails on the mac?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 10:04 AM

cpjnc wrote:

emails on my mac (Catalina OS) are deleted once they are deleted from my mail server. how do I keep those emails on the mac?

Create or delete mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Use Mail on your Mac - Apple Support

Move or copy mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies

Jan 27, 2020 9:34 AM in response to cpjnc

An IMAP mail account works this way - what you see should match what is on the server. This isfind if you are online and may view yourmail with more than one device. Everything will be accessible from anywhere and always in sync.

POP accounts on the other hand worby downloading storing mail in your mac.

Rgardless of the type of mail account, you can have mailboxes that are stored on your mac. These are the ones that show under “On My Mac” on the Mail sidebar..

So if you coy amessage to one of these mailboxes it will remain there, regardless what happens in the server. And if you move there from an IMAP. Mailbox it will be copied to your mac and removed from the server.

how do I leave emails on mac after they are deleted from mail server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.