Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac os 12.3.1 fails to install

I am trying to update from Big Sur to Monterey 12.3.1.

I have verified my hardware is supported. I have 1.5 TB of free dick. I have tried download from System Preferences and from App Store. I keep getting the following error "Installation failed. An error occurred while installing the update." I have restarted my Mac multiple times. See attached. I have contacted Apple Support and worked with them for 45 minutes. No resolution.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 11:00 PM

Try in safe mode.

Or make a bootable Monterey installer, Option-boot to it and install.

But remember to backup before such major installs.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

4 replies

Apr 12, 2022 6:50 AM in response to PRP_53

Big Sur Software is up to date. I am running 11.6.5.

Since you brought up internal disk drive, I am wondering if this is an issue caused by having an Apple 2.12 TB Fusion Drive installed. I remember having an issue with Apple supporting Fusion on an earlier release. If I remember correctly, I had to wait several updates before APFS was supported with Fusion drive

Apr 12, 2022 1:40 AM in response to steve.mccormick2

Follow previous advise first.

If still issues

Is Big Sur fully Up-To-Date as in running Big Sur 11.6.5 ?

Have seem some users attempting the upGrade from Big Sur to Monterey with less than fully up-to-dated version of Big Sir and have had issues.

There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Mac os 12.3.1 fails to install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.