Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10 - Trim Clip/Nudge all greyed out

I am tying to align a video and audio track in timeline, I know I can drag the clips and magnify them too to make it easier but I would like to be able to use a keyboard shortcut to nudge the frame itself one frame to the left or right. Sadly everything in the Modify/Trim Clip Edge drop down list is greyed out, also I have not been able to find any shortcuts??

Using iMovie 10.3.1 on Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.5

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 12:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 10:30 AM

The reason that the nudge commands are grayed out is because they are for nudging the edge of a clip one or more frames at a time while trimming it. They are not for moving the whole clip. If you click on the very edge of a clip and then do a Modify/Trim Clip Edge you will see the nudge trim options available.

However, the above is not what you want. You want to nudge the entire clip. The only way that I know of to nudge (move) an entire clip is to is to select the clip and then hold down the Option key while tapping the left arrow key (<). With each tap it will nudge one frame to the left. Unfortunately, it does not work to nudge to the right with the right arrow (>) key. So, you would need to position your clip slightly to the right and then nudge it left.

--Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 10:30 AM in response to mac rambler

The reason that the nudge commands are grayed out is because they are for nudging the edge of a clip one or more frames at a time while trimming it. They are not for moving the whole clip. If you click on the very edge of a clip and then do a Modify/Trim Clip Edge you will see the nudge trim options available.

However, the above is not what you want. You want to nudge the entire clip. The only way that I know of to nudge (move) an entire clip is to is to select the clip and then hold down the Option key while tapping the left arrow key (<). With each tap it will nudge one frame to the left. Unfortunately, it does not work to nudge to the right with the right arrow (>) key. So, you would need to position your clip slightly to the right and then nudge it left.

--Rich

iMovie 10 - Trim Clip/Nudge all greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.