Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstalling OS on a used mac

I have been given a used Macbook with High Sierra OS and the original user’s details. He has given me his username and password but not his iTunes log in details and I can no longer contact him. Will this prevent me from reinstalling the OS in my own name and, if so, will I be able to use my iTune log in details? I recognise that there are numerous posts on this subject on the internet but many are old, outdated or contradictory.

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 4:58 AM

If the New User what's full control of this computer and get rid of the previous Owners Association of this machine to their Apple Account

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Similar questions

11 replies

May 10, 2022 11:36 AM in response to PRP_53

For BDAqua and P. Phillips:

I went for the easy option of creating a new administrator and deleting the old one. After tidying up some apps that I didn’t need, the Macbook is working well. At some point, I may try reinstalling the OS but there is no need right now. I found that trackpad had severely broken - it turned out that the battery had swollen and forced up on the trackpad. A new battery and second-hand trackpad from Fleabay cost £30 (about 150 thousand US dollars - only kidding!) and 15 minutes work sorted it out.

reinstalling OS on a used mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.