Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Damaged Macbook stuck at Reset Password page

I damaged my MacBook Pro (13 inch, Retina Display, mid-2017) in August 2020. I recently got a USB-C to HDMI lead and hooked it up to my TV. When it boots, it takes me to a Reset Password page.

One option is I forgot my password, which I have and then asks for a recovery key that I don’t have, the other option is to enter a filevault recovery key, which I also don’t have.

Should I factory reset and if so, how?

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 4:01 AM

4 replies

Apr 13, 2022 4:51 AM in response to ku4hx

I dropped it from my top bunk bed onto the floor (about a 53 inch drop), it seemed to damage the Retina display but not the screen, there were lines on the entire display but recently it’s minimised to just the middle of the display. There are no cracks on the physical screen so I think I just need a new retina display replacement, when i turn it off the lines disappear. I also don’t know my password because I changed it the next year, giving up on getting it fixed or using it. I would get it fixed now but they’re gonna ask me for things I don’t have (Recovery Key, Password)

Apr 13, 2022 5:01 AM in response to ku4hx

Okay, I think it could then be easier to buy a replacement because I don’t think repairing an object should cost more than buying the object. I will make an appointment to see what price they give me and if it’s higher than buying a refurbished macbook pro with the same technical description then i’ll just buy another one, if it’s not I’ll get it fixed.

Thank you very much for your help and solution.

Damaged Macbook stuck at Reset Password page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.