Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes purchases are not using my redeemed gift card...how do I get this to happen?

I redeemed a gift card several months ago (perhaps years ago) and I always assumed that purchases were coming off of that balance until recently when I noted on a receipt that they were being charged to my credit card that is on file in my account. I have read through other recommendations and I cannot delete my credit card to force the purchases to come off of my gift card. I get a message that says a credit card is required because of Family Sharing. How can I get purchases to use the gift card that is in my account before charging my credit card?

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 9:53 AM

Wolfgang,

In a family Sharing group, the purchase will only go against your own credit balance if it is your own purchase, not one by a Member.

In this guide see the section on "Some purchases aren’t charged to your Apple ID balance":

How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - Apple Support

1 reply

itunes purchases are not using my redeemed gift card...how do I get this to happen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.