Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All Browsers except Safari are really slow.

I'm not sure if this is normal, but every browser other than Safari is slow on my M1 MacBook Air running Monterey. I've tried Chrome, Edge, and Brave. They all take a while to start up. Chrome especially hangs a lot (hang = rainbow of death). It even crashed WIndowServer 3 times in a row. I shrugged it off since Chrome is a known resource hog in this community and others—however, the other browsers took several seconds to launch and threw me off. Also, Brave and Chrome just seem laggy in general. There's a noticeable lag with things like opening a new tab and showing the Menu Bar while on full screen.

Is this normal or is there some sort of problem with my machine? I should mention that I reinstalled macOS just today. Could that have something to do with it?

Also, every browser other than Safari that I've tried has 2 entries under Notifications and Focus preferences, each with different settings. Is this normal?

Final question - does this community have a recommended list of browsers or something? I need a secondary browser to run Google and FaceBook websites in.

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 6:58 AM

FWIW, I have Brave and Firefox installed on my M1 MBA along with Safari of course. None are slow.

Try testing while in Safe Mode. If things are fine in Safe Mode, something you have installed is causing the issue.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

1 reply

All Browsers except Safari are really slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.