Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook screenshots look dull when I screenshot my art

Why does my mac screenshot (cmd+shift+4) colors look so dull and gray when i try to do a quick screenshot of my art? They look fine if I save them as a png or other file type, but if I try to screenshot it, the colors look washed out. It's annoying to have to save png's everytime i want to send a small wip and preserve the color quality.

Is this something I can fix or do I just have to deal with it?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 3:39 PM

blirb wrote:

Why does my mac screenshot (cmd+shift+4) colors look so dull and gray when i try to do a quick screenshot of my art? They look fine if I save them as a png or other file type, but if I try to screenshot it, the colors look washed out. It's annoying to have to save png's everytime i want to send a small wip and preserve the color quality.

Change your Screen shot to .png You would think this is the default.

from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type png; killall SystemUIServer

For the life of me I can not find an Apple Support document showing how to do this...(?)

You can see the default "type" that you have set from the terminal.app copy & paste:

defaults read com.apple.screencapture 
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2022 3:39 PM in response to blirb

blirb wrote:

Change your Screen shot to .png You would think this is the default.

from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type png; killall SystemUIServer

For the life of me I can not find an Apple Support document showing how to do this...(?)

You can see the default "type" that you have set from the terminal.app copy & paste:

defaults read com.apple.screencapture 

Macbook screenshots look dull when I screenshot my art

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.