Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Question

New Mac Studio on order and I will be transferring (migrating) 1TB of data from my Mac Pro (Late 2013). I've used Migration Assistant in the past with no problems. In preparation, want to develop a plan so I'm ready once the new machine arrives and have the necessary cables, etc. Here are my questions.

1. Connection: I'm thinking that an ethernet cable connection between the two Macs, as opposed to thunderbolt, will be the fastest. Mac Pro uses Thunderbolt 2 whereas the Studio uses Thunderbolt 4. Also, I assume that WiFi would be painfully slow.
  2. Another assumption: Using my Time Machine backup (on an external Promise HHD) will be much slower than connecting directly to the SSD on the Mac Pro.
  3. Peripherals: Is there a way to use the new Mac Studio to control the older Mac without the need for two separate keyboards and two mice, one set for each machine? This is actually my biggest question. It's a no brainer with two sets, but trying to avoid it if possible.

Thanks,

Jim

Mac Pro, macOS 12.1

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 3:49 AM

Dustoff06 wrote:

3. Peripherals: Is there a way to use the new Mac Studio to control the older Mac without the need for two separate keyboards and two mice, one set for each machine? This is actually my biggest question. It's a no brainer with two sets, but trying to avoid it if possible.

Universal Control would do what you want but your iMac is too old to support it.

Universal Control: Use a single keyboard and mouse between Mac and iPad - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2022 3:49 AM in response to Dustoff06

Dustoff06 wrote:

Universal Control would do what you want but your iMac is too old to support it.

Universal Control: Use a single keyboard and mouse between Mac and iPad - Apple Support

Apr 16, 2022 3:39 AM in response to Dustoff06

The below is IMHO.

Some have been successful and other have had a really mess

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Apr 16, 2022 12:58 PM in response to Dustoff06

hnI migrate everything (~400GB) from my 2013 MP to my Studio Mac. I cleaned up the MP before migrations. I had an NVMe drive in the MP so I took that out and put that in an USB-C enclosure and connected it to the Studio.

I first tried migration during setup of the Studio but it froze when copying Documents. I then tried again after setup. When I started the second migration It asked me what to do with the partially migrated stuff and I said delete. Migration took ~25 minutes and all was well.

Migration Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.